8.14.2014

Ramen... Can This Be My Religion???

Just look it this bowl of ramen below... Take it allllllll in.... Can you smell it?
Just a cell phone pic, and it looks DELISH

I've been slightly obsessed with ramen and pho for the last few months, and I'm calling this my first real success. It has got to be the best freakin ramen I've ever had. Seriously. And there is even a restaurant in Cleveland  completely dedicated to the stuff - which I have tried twice (just to give them the benefit of a doubt) and I was sorely disappointed each time. But this is not a restaurant review, so I digress.

After scouring my best friend pinterest for homemade ramen recipes, I discovered that the key is a super flavorful broth and the best noodles - and not spaghetti, but real Asian noodles. Mine was vegetarian tonight, but yours doesn't have to be. Here is how I went about this...

Vegetarian Ramen

For the dashi (the broth)
2 quarts vegetable stock, or bone stock, whatever you like really! (Ramen is traditionally pork bones, but just go with what you like)
1 Tbs olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
1 Tbs yellow miso paste
black pepper to taste
~Allow the garlic to sweat/brown slightly in the oils over medium heat, then add in your stock. Allow the stock to reduce by half, then stir in your condiments. Bring the broth back to a boil before pouring over the noodles. (Make extra dashi and keep it in the freezer so you don't have to do this every time you want soup. By the time you boil your broth next time, all your toppings will be done including your egg!)

For the toppings
You can have any manner of vegetables or roasted/grilled meats
carrots (boil in broth)
spring onion (top soup raw)
celery (boil in broth)
mushrooms (boil in broth slightly)
eggs (drop your eggs into already boiling water for exactly 7 minutes, then plunge into ice water and peel -you will have a perfectly set white and creamy yolk)
cabbage (boil in broth slightly)
broccoli/cauliflower (boil in broth slightly)
~I think you get the hang of it. Use what you have and what you like. Don't go out of your way!

For the noodles
I recommend something along these lines....
You will want to boil these separate from the soup... Pour the broth over the cooked noodles JUST before serving.


So... put it all together... Bowl, noodles, broth, veg/meat,  spring onion, and hot sauce if you so desire. Make sure to treat your broth like sauce rather than soup, as it will be very strong in flavor, but OH SO GOOD!

2 comments:

  1. I was like Pavlov's dog when I saw that photograph! I LOVE pho and ramen, but can't do the wheat noodles. I bet I could use rice noodles or buckwheat noodles, though. I may have to try this this weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy Ramen. The noodles are versatile. You can use them in stir fry, soups, even pasta substititions.

    ReplyDelete