5.13.2014

Hydrangea HELP!

My beloved hydrangea bush is NOT looking good after this winter. What the heck should I do???
As you can see, there is no green growing except for at the bottom, and the long branches are just dead. This type is that regular mop head type that everyone has. I freakin LOVE this bush. It was always so hardy and tough. Apparently NOT anymore! Should I just cut it way back to the green parts? I guess the worst thing that happens is that I kill it and I have to replace it.

This second hydrangea bush, however, is doing great! It is not the same type as the one that looks like crap... This one is the "Invincible Spirit," which is the breast cancer awareness type. It's flowers are pink and, well, fluffy looking. I like it!

**Update** 5/14
I trimmed the bush back to the green... Ugh... It is so tiny now! The yard looks silly and lopsided, but I am happy it isn't dead. Bonus! Some of the branches had really branched out and there were 2 "new" hydrangea plants about 2 feet from the main plant, so I cut them off, dug them out, and replanted in a vacant corner of the yard. I will post pics as soon as the rain stops falling. 

9 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this.. mine look exactly like this :( anxious to see what your followers have to say

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hydrangeas did the same thing. I'm assuming the cold winter we had here in Indiana caused the tops to die back. I cut them back to the green parts, and they're doing fine. I don't know if they'll bloom this year, but at least they are still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not ever having a hydragena bush ever, I can't for certain say. But if I DID have one that did that, I'd probably just prune it back to the green parts. Or, try snapping a few of the dead looking twigs; if there's any green in it, maybe leave it alone for a while, but if it's totally dry, I'd just prune it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you didn't prune it for a while so it might have weakened bush. Cut down dead branches and it will regrow from the bottom. this might help: http://www.bhg.com/gardening/flowers/perennials/hydrangea-pruning/?socsrc=bhgfb0512144

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've planted two hydrangeas out from bulb for the first time and so far we haven't seen even a tiny anything from them. Wondering if we bought bad bulbs or didn't understand how long it takes them to get settled and start growing.

    My husband would prune that back to the green, see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give it some good fertilizer too....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cut my hydrangeas down every year anyway. There's always lots of those dead stalks. Mine always grow back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! We live in Cleveland and my hydragena bush looks identical! I cut mine down, but I'm nervous that winter may have been too harsh on the poor flower.

    ReplyDelete