4.21.2014

Vegan Lasagna

Yesterday, I made a vegan lasagna to take to Easter dinner at Hubby's family's... It was the biggest hit! Everyone loved it! Seriously, I don't think anyone knew it was vegan unless they asked me. Here is the recipe by extremely popular demand. And I use the word recipe loosely, a dash here, a dash there.... You know how I roll. (As soon as I make this again, I will take pictures)

Vegan Lasagna
1 box no-boil lasagna noodles
1 medium onion, chopped
handful of shredded carrots (I had some that were sitting around from making a slaw, so in they went!)
1 red bell pepper, chopped small
1 zucchini, chopped
2 boxes of mushrooms, chopped (I think it was a total of 16 oz, I used white buttons for this, but use what you have)
3 or 4 large handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped (don't have fresh? use frozen, just make sure to squeeze out the water. You can really go nuts here, spinach cooks down to nothing)
handful fresh basil, chopped (I wouldn't sub in dried here)
1 container vegan substitute cream cheese (I used Tofutti. Not vegan? Use regular!)
1 package (12 oz?) extra firm tofu, drained but not pressed (you can use ricotta cheese!)
1 tbs-ish dried oregano
1 tbs-ish dried parsley
1 tbs-ish dried garlic (granulated, not powder)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (I REALLY estimated here. Sorry guys)
1 small jar tomato paste
30 oz plain canned tomato sauce (I HEAVILY seasoned my filling mixture, so no need to spring for fancy jarred marinara)

Start out by sauteing your onions and carrots with salt (be slightly generous, but don't go nuts. There are a TON of veggies in here) and pepper in a but of olive oil. Allow these to leach out as much water as possible. Add in your mushrooms. Seriously, cook these until the water has leached out and mostly evaporated. Add in the zucchini, and again, allow the water to leach out. (I cooked this all on medium-high heat.) Add in your spices, spinach, and basil. Allow all to wilt and then stir in your nutritional yeast, tomato paste and cream cheese. Crumble in the tofu so that it resembles curds of ricotta. I promise it doesn't taste weird. It just tastes like whatever you season it with. Allow mixture to cool slightly before assembling.

Heat oven to 350. Assemble lasagna - tomato sauce on the bottom, noodles, filling, sauce, noodles, filling until you have no more stuff left. I made sure to have the top of my lasagna be a layer of filling and sauce so that the noodles did not dry out. (cover with cheese if you want some more dairy) Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Cut, and eat with yummy bread!

**Update** I entered all of the ingredients into My Fitness Pal, and with this recipe making 12 HUGE portions, each portion is only 262 calories! (If you only use about a tsp of olive oil and some extra water to saute your veggies)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. It's tough being vegan. I best your sister was glad to have someone cook something nice for her?

    ReplyDelete