11.09.2013

Homemade Flavored Coffee Creamer

Ok, so I really REALLY love peppermint coffee creamer... You know, this one....
Have you ever read the ingredients in this stuff? It is as follows: WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CELLULOSE GEL, COLOR ADDED, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN

Most of that I can't pronounce making me really not want to drink it. And, I'm not so keen on having oil in my coffee! SO I took matters into my own hands, and made my own. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I must say, this turned out pretty good. 

Peppermint Mocha Creamer
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (Ok, I'm gonna be honest here... I don't love this. Next time I am going to use half and half or heavy cream to mix in... This milk made my creamer kind of taste like cereal. Also, this will allow more sugar control)
the same amount of milk (just refill the can and don't make extra dishes)
         *I used soy milk here because it is what I had on hand. I'm sure any kind of milk you use would be fine, except maybe coconut milk (unless you want a coconut flavor or buttermilk.
1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract
1tsp vanilla extract
1 + 1/2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

This is simple, just empty the can and your regular milk into a small sauce pan, add in the cocoa powder, heat over low heat, and whisk until all is mixed well and the cocoa is dissolved. Stir in the extracts off of the heat so they down dissipate into the air. Pour into a container with a closable cap and refrigerate. Enjoy!

**I have no idea how long this will last in the fridge, but it's so darn good that I don't see it going to waste!

**Don't even go to the place where you say, but isn't peppermint Christmas-y? What about pumpkin spice creamer? I don't like pumpkin spiced anything except pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. Those fancy lattes that every goes nuts over gross me out. BUT if you DO like pumpkin spice, go ahead and skip the peppermint in the recipe and add in cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. I haven't made this for obvious reasons, so I can't give you quantities here.

***I got a comment stating that "just because you can't pronounce them, doesn't mean they are bad for you. You must be ignorant and you should educate yourself." OK let me just say, that yes, in actuality, I can pronounce those words, and yes, I actually do know what they mean. The point of saying those things is to show that I don't want to put processed ingredients into my body and the bodies of my family. Don't you also want to put the most pure things into your mouth and have them be delicious?? The more processed and ingredient is, typically, the more letters and syllables the word will have. Sorry if you think I'm an idiot because I want to eat and feed my family the best and most simple things I can find. I hope you enjoy the recipe!

8 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds good.....even though I don't drink coffee. Maybe I could put that in my tea instead of using the flavored teas. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wha????? No Coffee?!?!?!

      Ok, I will say that I have put coffee creamer in regular black tea and it was awesome...

      Delete
  2. Do you ever wonder how they can get on with calling it Dairy Free and yet, be derived from milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. honestly, I never even noticed that because I don't care if I have dairy or not... But now that you bring it up, yeah, that is super weird

      Delete
  3. Not being a coffee drinker either I drink lots of flavored teas. I'm not a fan of sweetened condensed milk myself, a lot of sugar and a bit to sweet for me. You might try stevia, chocolate extract and peppermint. Or use a little honey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweetened condensed milk, I have to admit, is kind of gross... I had it leftover from a pie making session and figured this would be a good way to get rid of it. It tastes kind of like cereal actually...

      Delete
  4. I love peppermint! I admit to being one of those people who must have a mocha peppermint latte at least once a holiday season. However, it sure would be cheaper and better if I made my own - thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds awesome! I think half heavy cream and half milk would be perfect. I can't believe you got that comment...puh-leez!! ;)

    ReplyDelete