11.16.2013

Empty Pantry Challenge, Part 1

Ok, so I have recently realized something... Not only have I become my mother in many various ways (not a bad thing!), I have become my mother in an extremely odd way... I have become somewhat of a food hoarder. When I was little, there was always food to make whatever recipes you could dream of. And we made BIG grocery store trips. Why? I have no idea. But I have carried these habits into adulthood.

Now, its not like we have food sitting around and rotting, and our house is gross or something... But for real, my pantry is FULL. My freezerS are FULL (yeah, both of them.) Technically, on the freezer front, we have 3 freezers. 1 upstairs attached to the fridge, and 2 deep freezers in the basement - one for our cow, and one for veg from the garden.

So, I am giving myself the EMPTY PANTRY CHALLENGE! I am aiming to have emptied our freezers and pantry over the next few weeks to a month until Christmas time, at which we will be out of town for several days, and I get weird about having food sitting around anywhere. Also, I want to try and save some money for Christmas shopping, so I would REALLY like to avoid going to the grocery store for a few weeks, or longer if I possibly can.

Here is another part of the challenge... You don't have to follow this one... But in the spirit of saving money and eating what we already have, I am aiming to NOT EAT OUT until this challenge is over. This has been a big deal for me, eating out... I am busy, and no one is going to cook for me, so it is easier to go out. It is getting STUPID EXPENSIVE. And like I said, I want some extra money for Christmas shopping.

In part 2 of this blog post, I will be posting my planned meals and snacks so that I can have an easy reference for myself, and you, if you want a recipe here and there.

How about it?!?! Are you with me??? If you are, please post a comment. I will be trying to post about the week's recipes on Sunday evenings.

10 comments:

  1. LOVE the challenge & I'm all in for it!
    Wait a sec......how long is this going to last? I have NO chocolate in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, you can have one last shopping trip... I just grocery shopped this morning, and I have no where to put anything... Hence, the challenge! Monday, it starts!!!

      Delete
  2. Good timing....I just got back from Costco! Both of my freezers, as well as the freezer in the fridge, are jam packed full. I need to empty them out to make room for more, as I'd like to cook up all of my butternut squash and freeze it, because I'll be needing the shelves they're stored on (my seedling shelves) by February/March. I'm in for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! I know we will get some awesome recipes from you Granny!

      Delete
    2. I don't know, Ashlee. From the looks of my freezers, my menu will be chicken, chicken, chicken....and green beans!

      Delete
    3. OK, I'm already in at

      http://annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com/2013/11/november-16-2013-challenge-accepted.html

      Delete
  3. Wow you both have two freezers? My deep freeze is totally full and pretty organized as I showed yesterday. I think it has one thing in it that shouldn't be there as I head into winter. I bought some mango creamsicles and they weren't as good as they looked so they didn't get eaten. I need to toss those. However the freezer that goes with my fridge is always in need of cleaning out. That I ought to cleaned out. But not to eat it. What needs to happen is for me to get rid of the stuff that has been there for years and is inedible. I clean the deep freeze out every spring when it gets empty, but I rarely ever do for the upstairs one. Bad me. Likewise for the pantry. I clean it out in late spring when I start to preserve things again. I do have some weird grains (like quinoa, amaranth, millet and the like) that I bought to replace oatmeal in the morning, but I found I didn't like them for that. Every since they have just been siting there taking up space. So I'm going to have to grind them and see if I like baking with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel about having stuff in the freezer fo too long and tossing it... I had to toss a few things last night when I went through everything, a bag of 3 year old basil, some bread that I don't even know how long it had been in there... But that's OK! Chicken treats!

      I too have a bunch of grains that I have no idea what I want to do with, but I came across this whole wheat bread recipe with bulgur in my Google search of "clean out the pantry recipes." If you adapt it, let me know what you think! I have some yeast that I need to use up before December!

      http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/everyday_whole_wheat_bread.html

      Delete
    2. You guys haven't seen anything until you find rotten bananas in your freezer. They were unidentifiable actually, partial defrosting and a sniff test were in order! I was surprised they turned black and gooey while frozen, but they were in the fridge freezer, and I don't think frost free freezers are all that great for long term food storage.

      Delete
    3. Gross! My freezers are supposed to be frost free, but that feature must have broken down awhile ago... Another big reason to work on emptying the meat freezer is to get the layer of ice out!

      Delete