9.11.2013

Time Flies...

Especially when you don't have any! Sorry I haven't been around much!

The garden has been hanging and holding steady since the massive tomato harvests last time I blogged. I pulled out the zucchini and cucumbers. They were just completely covered in powdery mildew, and I couldn't take it anymore. They were so ugly and unproductive. I've been pulling the beans slowly but surely, a few plants every time I go outside. The kale is STILL going strong! In fact, I need to do another major harvest. Maybe Sunday... It's a good thing they are holding out because all my seedlings (kale, cabbages, lettuces, broccoli) got totally decimated by cabbage worms in about 2 days. No fall garden there. Unless I get my act together and plant more trays, but I doubt that will happen.... I will still plant my direct sow plants this weekend, but it won't be near what I was hoping to get with the trays of brassicas.

Opie hasn't been around much, but we have been having random kitty visitors such as Baby Stripes, Freddy, Smokey, and Chicken Stalker of course. The chickens are good and healthy, but starting to look like hell. Blondie is in full on molt and hasn't laid an egg in 2 weeks. Maybe more, I have lost track of time. She actually has NO butt feathers left at this point. The other girls are starting their molt, but look nowhere near as bad as Blondie. Every time I go outside to feed them or grab an egg, the coop looks like someone had a huge pillow fight and left feathers all over the place, just like a bad 80's movie. I will try to get a picture of her, but she may be too camera shy since she is so far off from her normal beauty.

What else? Oh yeah, my life is nuts now. This semester is really kicking my butt, and I am only 3 weeks in. The name of the game right now is projects, projects, projects. This is the main reason I haven't been blogging much, so sorry if you missed me! I have been trying to keep up on reading all your garden stories, but haven't had much time to comment. Even at home, I rarely get to spend quality time with Hubby, our newest most often used phrase is "Love you, see ya when I see ya" said usually in the morning when either he or I is running out. I don't even know the last time I made a real dinner....

I've taken up running, and am now in week 7 of dedication. I can run 3 miles now! Well, more a walk/run thing, but I can still do it! I've even gained a couple of running buddies, so that definitely helps. This week I took a day off from my running routine because I just can't deal with this heat. When you run, your body makes it feel about 20 degrees hotter than it really is. I don't know about you, but getting psyched up to run in 80 degree heat at 7 am isn't my kind of fun.

Speaking of heat, what the hell?!?! It SEPTEMBER for gawd's sake! Yesterday we hit NINETY SIX degrees. 96!!!! Ridiculous! This weather is doing nothing for my attitude except dragging it down. Big time. Like, I can't even fathom smiling right now. Ugh. It needs to end so I can return to being normal.

Well, it's been great getting to catch you up on why I've been absent, but I have to get back to work!

3 comments:

  1. I am out of breath just reading this post! Yeah, this weather STINKS! We had a air quality alert in Albany today. In September! Makes you so excited about driving into the muck... Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowza... i need a nap now after reading this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot here too, and humid with our tropical rains! I'm ready for the 70's coming tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete