8.22.2013

Zucchini Cakes

Another way to bake with zucchini. AND IT ISN'T BREAD!!!

I found these chocolate zucchini cakes at Martha Stewart, and decided to adapt them, Tiny Gardener Style.


Chocolate Zucchini Cakes
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (you can use butter here)
3 Tbs plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
38 walnut halves (or pieces)
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Preheat your oven to 350.

Melt half of the chocolate chips either in the microwave or in a double boiler. I do the double boiler because I am notorious for burning chocolate. Allow to cool slightly.

Mix all your wet ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then add in the melted chocolate. Remember, sugar is a wet ingredient!

Mix your dry ingredients together, including the non melted chips. Pour the dry stuff into to wet stuff, and mix until just incorporated.

Pour ONE Tablespoon of batter into each compartment of a mini-muffin tin. Top each batter cup with 1 walnut half.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I got exactly 38 mini cakes. Holy crap, they are good.

**Update** I put these in the fridge so that they wouldn't go bad before we ate them all. I pulled one out just now, and it was almost fudge like! Yay!



I put the recipe into a recipe generator thing, and it turns out, each little cake is 75 calories, so go ahead and indulge in a couple! They are super nice, not too sweet, and a couple satisfied my sweet tooth.

















6 comments:

  1. Now if I could just get some stinking zucchini! They look soooo cute! And tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man... I forgot about your SVBs. Bastards. Can't you trade for some at the farmers market? No one is going around leaving them in unlocked cars?

      Delete
  2. I love this! Just the right amount of cake. Ah, Carolyn - and I've been shoving zucchini in mailboxes all up and down my road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are super good. Not too sweet, but sweet enough to be a cake, and just rich enough to feel satisfied after one or 2. You really should make them. They freezer super well also.

      Delete
  3. these look AMAZING
    have to make them

    ReplyDelete
  4. What made mine fun was making the walnuts candied. Brown sugar/butter/walnut halves in pan and sautee. Cool before adding to top of muffin.

    ReplyDelete