8.07.2013

Kale and Mushroom Pasta

I am really on a mushroom kick lately. The kale this year is excellent, as the summer hasn't been hot enough to make it go bitter, and it is just growing like crazy! Delish! Last week I made a mushroom and kale lasagna, which was totally killer. This week, I was inspired by a post on, what else? Pinterest! It was actually a mushroom stroganoff recipe that I made my own. I didn't use sherry or Worcestershire, and I added kale. Yum!

Just a couple of notes before I get into it... If you don't like kale, substitute whatever greens you like. Vegan? Don't use sour cream. Meat eater? Add some sliced beef or chicken. Dont have fresh pasta? Use your favorite dried pasta. Don't like garlic? Leave it out. My recipes are NOT rules, just guidelines. We like a lot of "stuff" in relation to our pasta, so this was enough for 2 of us. Have more family members? Add more pasta, more greens, etc... Just go with the flow. 
 

Kale and Mushroom Pasta
This will take about 30 minutes, and I made enough for 2 VERY hefty servings. If you are feeding more people, just add more pasta. 

1 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/2 pound shitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (remove the stem on these, they are very tough)
1 large onion, sliced thin
8 oz fresh kale, cleaned and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 large sprigs of thyme
4-5 fresh sage leaves
1 T steak sauce (ordinarily I would use Worcestershire sauce for that umami goodness, but I didn't have any. I had to improvise)
1 cup sour cream (I used light. The brand I chose didn't have added sugar, so I was cool with it.)
8 ounces fresh pasta (Don't fret, dried pasta is good too!)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Do this first so that your pasta can cook while you are making the "stuff."
 
Saute your onions and garlic in olive oil over medium/med-high heat until golden brown and fragrant.
Add your sliced mushrooms and chopped herbs, salt and pepper to taste.

The mushrooms should give off enough water to cook the kale... Add in the steak sauce or Worcestershire and stir into the mushrooms. Add in the chopped kale, cook until bright green and chewable, but not mushy. Then, add in your sour cream.
Stir everything together and let the flavors gently simmer on medium-low heat while your fresh pasta cooks. A few notes here... Fresh pasta from the freezer will cook in about 2 minutes of rapidly boiling water. Whole wheat fresh, about 3 minutes. Dried pasta, about 10 minutes. Just time this accordingly. Fresh pasta will float when it is done, so that is your signal and you don't have to burn your fingers doing a taste test.
 

Fish out or strain your pasta, toss it with the saucy goodness, and serve in a big bowl. If you want it saucier, add in some starchy pasta pater before your strain your pasta. Top with some parmesan cheese if you are feeling feisty, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. this looks so incredibly good! I am going to try it

    thnxxx so much for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh!!! I'm SOOOO stinking hungry now!!!

    ReplyDelete