8.08.2013

First Eggplant

I know everyone is drowning in zucchini just about now, myself included, and we are FINALLY starting to get other vegetables. Eggplant to be exact.

By the end of the weekend, I should have 6 or 7 more of these beauties! This one weighs in at exactly 1 pound. This is the Listada de Gandia eggplant from Baker Creek. Not only are they super awesome looking, but they taste great too. Not too bitter, and the skin isn't tough so you can leave it on when you cook with it. It does lose some of it's color striation when cooked though...

I think for our first meal with it, I'm going to grill it up simply with zucchini, slice up a tomato, and put it all in fresh ciabatta bread with some basil and mozzarella. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. OOooo!! I LOVE Eggplant! However, Paul does not. Wait a minute, he does when it's battered & deep fried with a side of marinara sauce.

    Might I be so bold as to ask that you save some seeds and maybe, possibly, if I'm really nice & pay for postage.....save me a few seeds to plant next spring?

    Oooo. I think I've got a blog post brewing now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding?! Of course I will send you some seeds! I will let one of the eggplant get big enough for mature seeds, then let them dry, etc.

      A blog post?? About what?? I can't wait! I hate the anticipation!

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty eggplant!! Mine are just starting to form...

    ReplyDelete