8.12.2013

Effing Varmin

Last year, which was sadly named The Year of the Groundhog, we did major battle battle with bastard groundhogs. I think our neighbor ended up, uh, getting rid of, over 12 of them, not to mention several possums and raccoons.

This year, we thought we had that groundhog problem in the history books... Well, not so much. A few days ago, we had a groundhog sighting in the driveway, and then again yesterday. We set the trap out in the neighbors yard to try and get him. No luck.

This afternoon, I spotted him in my yard munching on tomatoes, which I promptly threw on some clothes and chased him off with a shovel. I came back in, took a shower, then as soon as I got out, he was back there again literally picking my green beans. I gathered up the trap and reset it in my yard, in the path to the tomatoes and the beans... Its now been like, a week, and still nothing. Maybe my chasing after him with a shovel scared him off. 

So, not only do we have groundhogs again, we are doing battle with sparrows. A LOT of sparrows. They really enjoy chicken feed, just in case you didn't know. I switched the girls over from crumbles to pellets in hopes of thwarting the tiny beaked bastards from eating it as much. It isn't perfect, but its better.

And then we have the mice. Since I changed the girls over from a typical upside-down gallon water thing to a tub of water, I have at least one dead mouse a week in there. Gee, its such a pity they can't swim...

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wish... Unfortunately, gun shots in the city often attract those pestering things called cops :(

      Delete
  2. Oh boy! It's sad to be plagued by pests in your precious garden, that you worked hard to grow! We've had a fair share of them in our garden as well...Hope you are able to harvest your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the only thing we have lost has been a couple hand fulls of green beans and a few tomatoes. And a bunch of chicken feed which is expensive (in my eyes), so i think I'd rather be losing a little bit of produce...

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it seems like trying to garden means waging war - if it's not insect invaders, it's the damn rodents. While I seem to have missed the year of the groundhog, I have a home flock of sparrows that could ground a 747. Not to mention the gd rabbits. I was actually thrilled to hear that the coyotes were back! I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! World War 3 going on my backyard, let me tell ya! The sparrows I think are the worst... They eat the chicken feed and crap all over the yarden and my patio furniture. I hate them!

      Fortunately, we have feral cats, so I think they do a pretty good job of taking care of the tiny rodents and rabbits.

      Delete
  4. You seem to have more critter problems that we do....and YOU'RE the one in the city! Hope you get the BGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I KNOW, right?! At least the only snakes I do battle with are in my basement and only the size of a pencil, unlike yours which was taller than you. Gross!

      Delete