7.17.2013

Keeping the Gang Cool

Just got back in from checking on the chickens, and they seem to be riding out the heat wave in true chicken style... Digging holes in the ground.

I put out clean cold water with ice every morning (except today, I ran out of ice, but they did get cold water) and I put a fan with a big bowl if ice in front of it to blow a cool breeze on my girls. I sprayed down the run to make the dirt nice and cool, and the girls didn't mind the cool shower either. Usually, they run away from water mysteriously falling from the sky, but today, they welcomed it. I stopped after a few minutes because I was nervous those bird brains would turn their heads up and then drown. Morons.

The cats and Chelsea are doing OK. We have one air conditioned room in the house, and we all have been hiding out in there all day. I toughed out the heat until about 3 pm when I decided enough was enough. I turned on the air, took my second cold shower of the day, and then hid away with the dog and cats. The room is just big enough to fit a queen bed, a side table, and a little TV. But the animals and I don't care, we just like having a little retreat. We all pretty much only leave the room to, ya know, take care of business.

We are supposed to get some heat relief come Friday night, and honestly I can't freakin wait. Maybe I'm a sissy, maybe my blood is too thick, whatever you want to call it, but I hate this heat. I try and embrace it, telling myself it isn't so bad, but I really do hate it. Even though I love my garden, and I love barbecues and all the fun summer stuff, this is my least favorite season. I can't help it, I was just not made for summer.

After all, you can always put on more clothes when its cold... When its hot, you can only be so naked without getting arrested...

6 comments:

  1. I hear you! It's 99 in the shade here today. Needless to say, I didn't spend much time in the garden. The only good thing about the heat is that my tomatoes are finally ripening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only my tomatoes would ripen! It seems that it is always getting into August before I get a fresh tomato.

      Delete
  2. It was 100+ today, so I hear you! Ice chips for the girls, cool food treats like cukes, and a mister. They do pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw about putting frozen fruits like blueberries in their water to help cool them and give them a little treat. I've got a huge bag in the freezer, maybe I will try that tomorrow! I wonder if my local big box store has any misters left...

      Delete
  3. Wow. You're making me feel like I'm committing chicken abuse! The extent of my hot-weather routine is to refill the buckets with cool(er) water. Although they do have a bit more room to find cooler spots and dig in the dirt under the bushes and in the woods. I've thought about running the house out there with some sort of mister, but I'm sure MY Mister (ie Paul) would tell me something like, "They're just freaking chickens!!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least your chickens have bushes and trees. During the day my girls only have the shade of the garage until the sun goes far enough and then they get the neighbor's tree, but they really don't have anywhere really cool to dig. Hence my overzealous icing and spraying. And yeah, they are just chickens... But we've only got four and you have like, 25.

      Poor little biddies are still panting and trying to go to sleep. I put the fan in front of their window to try and circulate some air in the coop.

      Delete