7.30.2013

Husband Approved Beet Recipe(s)

It has to be said, I made Husband hate beets... A long time ago, I grew some beets and made roasted beets, and way overcooked them, and he of course hated them. I thought I had scarred him for life... Until now...

I grew beets this year with the intention of sweet pickling them, which is honestly my favorite snack on the face of the planet. I will eat them til I puke... And then eat some more. Anywho, Hubby was talking to a client (who is Greek fyi) and told him how he hates beets and that I'm terrible for growing them. Client said, she needs to make them Greek style... Cut them up with onions and garlic. And so I did... And Hubby LOVES BEETS! So here is the recipe (again, we ate them up and I failed to take any pictures, but just trust me on this.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greek Beets
1 pound beets, boiled until done, like a potato but not mushy, peeled and sliced bite size
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch or 2 of oregano (dried or fresh is fine)
salt and pepper

Ok, saute your garlic and onions in olive oil until translucent, but not really browned. Add in your salt and pepper and oregano, and the beets. Stir to combine and eat!

It has to be said that these beets are awesome paired with their greens sauteed the exact same way but finished with some honey and balsamic vinegar. YUM!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, us only being 2 people, we did NOT finish the beets from last night, Hubby asked if we could have a repeat beets and greens type dinner, and of course I obliged. So tonight, I made the sauteed greens (I had to substitute some kale mostly) and paired them with homemade wheat pasta. Holy crap was it good... Here's how I did it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beets and Greens Pasta
8 or so ounces of chopped greens
1 medium onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
balsamic vinegar
honey
salt and pepper
basil (dried for this one)
4 or so ounces goat cheese (don't have any? use Parmesan. None of that? Use cream cheese)
salt and pepper
fettuccine pasta
Leftover beets, reheated

Bring some salted water to a boil for your pasta, toss it in. This takes no time to make!

Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil with salt and pepper until slightly golden brown. Add in a sprinkle of dried basil and the balsamic vinegar and honey (honestly, I never measure this... I would say to taste based on how sweet or bitter your greens are). Stir in the goat cheese and enough starchy pasta water to create a sauce to braise your greens in. Add the greens and cook until chewable, or to your faveorite level of doneness. Add in the cooked pasta and toss together.

Top the pasta with the reheated beets (or fresh if you're feeling frisky!) and eat!

I would recommend NOT cooking the beets along with everything else in this dish otherwise everything will turn pink.... I don't know about you, but I don't find pink pasta very mouthwatering to look at.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are welcome!

3 comments:

  1. Damn you and your yummy food recipes! I'm dieting (again). And, I don't have any beets. Yet. Going in the raised beds for the fall garden as soon as I can get the chicken wire across it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Where's the kitty post!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. how in THE world do you come up with this stuff???? sounds AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete