7.29.2013

Harvest Monday

Last week was a good week in the yarden. I was out of town this weekend, and came home to kale, beans, beets, broccoli, and TOMATOES! Yes!! Tomatoes!!

I got one small Purple Cherokee, a few black cherries, and a couple reisentraubs. Yum! I'm gonna whip up some fresh pasta for this week, and hopefully by Friday we will have enough to have for dinner.The kale I picked yesterday went straight into a creamy mushroom and kale lasagna, which was freakin awesome! I will post the recipe below. I really should have taken pictures of that...
Punkin loves harvest days too!
 This week: 1lb 12oz beets & greens
                    12 oz tomatoes
                    1lb 8oz green beans
                    1lb 4oz kale
                    6oz broccoli shoots
                    2oz various herbs
Annual Total:  41 lb 4 oz


Kale and Mushroom Lasagna
1 lb kale, cleaned and chopped small
1 large onion
as much garlic as you want (I use a lot, or leave it out if you want)
1 lb mushrooms, chopped (use whatever kind you want or have on hand. I picked some baby bellas up on sale)
1/2 box lasagna noodles, cooked halfway OR fresh pasta sheets uncooked (yum!)
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
8 oz mozzarella cheese
5 oz parmesan cheese
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
various herbs chopped fine (I used basil, sage, and thyme fresh from the garden... Rosemary would be awesome in this also)

This is so easy, you will make this a go-to dinner. At least I will! This recipe will make one really large lasagna or 2 small ones (which I made and stuck one in the freezer)

First off, boil a lot of water to cook your noodles in. Salt it well! Only cook the noodles about halfway, they will continue to cook in the oven. Combine the milk, flour, herbs, nutmeg, and salt and pepper in a sauce pan. Whisk to combine and cook on medium until slightly thickened. Turn the heat off and add in most of your cheeses (save some for the top!)

Saute the onions and garlic in butter/olive oil until slightly golden and fragrant. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden. Add in your kale (you can substitute any greens you want - spinach, beets, mustard, anything you like!) and cook until bright green and slightly soft. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper. Pour in the cheese sauce and stir to combine.

Butter or spray oil your baking dish of choice, and put a little bit of the veggie/sauce mixture in the bottom to keep noodles from sticking. Place a layer of noodles, a layer of sauce, noodles, sauce, noodles, sauce. I got 3 layers total, and it was plenty tall. Make you you end with a layer of sauce so the top layer of noodles doesn't dry out. Top with more cheese, and bake at 350 covered for about an hour, remove foil and bake another 15 minutes until golden brown on top. Allow lasagna to rest slightly so it doesn't run all over the place when you slice it up. Enjoy!


Don't forget to hop on over to Daphne's Dandelions and check out lots of other gardens and harvests!

6 comments:

  1. Nice recipe to use up kale! I will keep it in mind when my next harvest of kale comes in. This year your garden has been producing a lot! Everything looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I'm just now, as I'm typing this, waiting for my mozzarella to curd up so I can make Lasagna! How did you know?! As I don't have any kale, I'll be substituting Lambs Quarters, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Oh, and YAY for kitty pictures! And speaking of kitties, didn't you say you had a kitty story to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out for you using fresh cheese... I used the stuff from a bag :)

      Yes! I will post about the cat tomorrow

      Delete
  3. Thank YOU for the kale recipe - I am up to my elbows in kale. This sounds like the kind of summer/winter/fall/spring comfort food that I love. I will give it a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! It so darn good... All that cheese... :)

      Delete