6.25.2013

Woah, it's been how long??

Sorry Y'all! I've been slacking on the blog front, but it really because I've been so busy out in the Yarden! This past weekend was Garden Walk Cleveland, so we were busy getting everything pretty-fied for all our guests. Honestly, I think the garden walk was kind of a bust, we only had about 10-15 people each day. Last year, I can remember an almost constant stream of people. One guy we talked to said he thinks the organization dropped the ball on marketing, but I am not a part of that, so I can't say much there. I just know it was slow.

So all that and my summer classes started, and my first class is only a 6 weeks long (they crammed 18 weeks into 6!) so it is keeping me busy.

Anywho, I am back now that the yarden is totally cleaned up, and I have no upcoming harvests except my now constant picking of kale. Just in case you were wondering, The cherry tree was fully ripe this weekend, and so I spent yesterday afternoon pickin, pittin, and preservin. This is what I came up with.. FOUR lbs, EIGHT oz of CLEANED fruit. Just cherry goodness and no pits. I can't believe that our little tree put out that much fruit. We are tying to figure out places to put more trees!

I love the jam I ended up with, but I am happy I don't have to make more until next summer... It took me almost 3 hours to pit these things! They are so small and soft (not soft, but not as firm as sweet cherries) that they just popped through the pitter and the pits didn't come clean off, so I had to engage my fingers in helping to rid them of the pits. 

8 comments:

  1. WOWZA.... that is allot of cherries.... I never thought you would get that much!! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How insanely awesome is that! And the collage of cherry photos are really beautiful! You should frame those and put wallet sized ones in your purse so you can show all those annoying "here's a picture of my kid" people YOUR pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Just like posting pictures of my cats on Facebook...

      Delete
  3. I agree with Carolyn, the cherry progression collage is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love the way it turned out, and the pictures look so good... I'm going to try to come up with other things I can do this with

      Delete
  4. What kind of cherry tree? Great harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a sour cherry tree. This will be it's third summer and first harvest.

      Delete
  5. Good for you! Our apple and nectarine trees, berries are loaded this year. Not much at all last year...

    ReplyDelete