6.30.2013

Beans, Beans, Beans

Dried beans, not green beans. At least not yet.

I saw on Pinterest the other day about cooking your dried beans in a slow cooker and then canning or freezing them yourself rather than buying cans at the store. So I did it.

The method was super easy, just pour about 1 pound of beans into the slow cooker, add a chopped onion, pepper, bay leaves, and 6-7 cups of water. Then cook the beans on low for about 4-5 hours (just tender) and then add 1 T salt, then cook one hour longer. The method says you can freeze or can from here, but I just put them in the fridge for the up coming week.

Let me tell you, the beans turned out awesome, but they are way salty. I am going to cut back the salt to 1 teaspoon instead of tablespoon next time.

I did some math to see if the canning effort was going to be worth it. 1 pound of black beans cost me $1.75 at the market, so that comes out to about 35 cents per cooked cup of beans. Then if I were to can them, that would be about 2 cups per pint, so 70 cents per can plus the lid which brings the total to $.91 per home canned pint of beans. I can get organic black beans on sale for $.99 each, less the work and water and electricity of canning my own.

What do you think? Is it worth it to you to can your own beans? Or do you just cook what you need? Or do you freeze them?

2 comments:

  1. I buy 'em canned. I seldom even bother cooking them from scratch any more. I have enough work to do around here, and I'm getting lazy in my old age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, but I don't use that many beans. I might freeze them though, for winter soups, since they'd be pre-seasoned. If I grew my own I'd do that. Sadly I don't own a pressure canner due to my glass topped range :( When it dies I'll get an electric one!

    ReplyDelete