5.14.2013

We Have Grass!!!

Ok, so this winter really screwed with our yarden. The snow, the melts, the rain, the snow, the melts, the rain, so on and so forth really took its toll. Not to mention the fact that chickens really like to dig and scratch in mud. To put it in really simple terms, we had a giant mud pit on our hands. And as one of my dear blogging friends like to say, when it rains it turns to poop soup.




We debated... Mulch, grass, gravel... Mulch is expensive, and eventually turns into dirt. Gravel is also expensive and we can't walk barefoot on it (comfortably at least.) So, back to grass it was. I took almost an entire day raking out and shoveling out rocks, tilling and raking the yarden level again (chickens are really intrigued by the idea of digging to China apparently) laying seed (with Husband's help) and laying out straw. Move forward several weeks, maybe a month or two, and LOTS of hand watering later (yes, hand watering the grass... because why else do we have rain barrels???) we have grass again.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Mr. Granny loves his lawn, he says my garden takes up too much room. I told him he'd starve to death if he had to eat grass instead of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would consider it an actual lawn, but more like chicken-edible pathways...

      What is it with men and their lawns???

      Delete
  2. You mean salad bar for the chickens, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're ready to re-do it every year. My hens feel as if the grass is theirs! And I am there to reseed it (and fill in all the craters) every year. I am a slave to my chickens. But it is lovely to see all that green, isn't it? And we do love us our chickens, do we not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first year that it was totally decimated... Now we have them fenced in a portion of the yard and they are only allowed supervised visitation to the grass. I can't take the mid pit every year!

      Delete