5.06.2013

First Real Workday in the Yarden

Last Weekend. Was. AWESOME.

We had a great day Saturday, great weather, and it was just awesome. We went to the market this morning in the car (we purchased a TON of groceries) and then rode our bikes to the supermarket. We got home and cleaned up the side yarden and planted 6 broccoli plants, 7 cabbages, and 22 kales. Yes, 22 kales. Kale is our favorite vegetable and we can't have enough of it in the freezer.

We also put up fencing around all the brassicas. After last year's groundhog devastation,  we are taking absolutely zero chances. We found some good fencing material on super sale at the big orange store, and felt the need to buy 3 rolls. The first roll was used for the chicken fence, the second for the side yarden, and the third will be used for fencing in the beds in back. NO CHANCES THIS YEAR YOU BASTARD GROUNDHOG!!!!

I think I also got a little sunburned. My face was red and so were my arms, I was cold and tired, but I totally don't even care. I love it. It's about dang time we had some nice weather!

Side Yarden and Fence

The only Broccoli plant worth photographing so far....

7 cabbages

22 kales!

10 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS this looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! We are to windy to work outside today....Maybe I will get out in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at our place, it seems the wind never stops! We just plant and hope for the best when it comes to that!

      Delete
  3. Funny how some people like kale. Me? Can't stand it. But I love me some broccoli! Bring on them trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't lie, I haven't met a vegetable I didn't like. But there is something about kale. You can eat as a salad, put it in smoothies, juice it, sautee it, braise it, put it in soups, put it in pasta.

      Maybe you would like kale better if you had it in the winter? The heat of summer makes it bitter, and the cold will make it sweet. Or maybe try putting in some honey with the kale when you cook it? I do that with my summer kales... Just a little bit goes a long way. You can't taste the honey, but it makes the bitter taste of kale not so offensive.

      Delete
  4. I think the wind killed off more of my cabbages and another broccoli :-( It didn't help that the temp went up into the high 80s during yesterday's wind storm. Yours look so healthy, even the lone broccoli plant. I have one that looks good, but the other one is wimpy. Mother Nature hates me this year, I'm tellin' ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are starting to look a little more perky now that they are acclimated to their new environment.

      Honestly, as long as I live here, I will never get used to how much wind there is in April and May!

      Delete
  5. Kale! We love kale! Be sure to bury that fence if you want to thwart the bastard groundhog - they are burrowers! What a great use of space - and did you go to the West Side Market (she sobs with envy and fond memories...) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes we went to the Westside market. We go every Saturday. I will do a part just for you this weekend!

      Delete