4.17.2013

Spring Cleaning

You know those moments when you wish you had taken a "before" picture, but neglected to do so because you we just bitten by the bug to do something? Yeah, I had one of those today...

I cleaned my basement today. Yes, the whole darn thing.My basement is stupid big. For real, it is the size of the ENTIRE footprint of my house, including my porch. Yes, the basement goes under the porch. What a blast when it rains (good thing the weather doesn't come from the East.) All in all, it is about 1,000 sq ft of basement, give or take. Really, it is dumb how big it is... There are actually rooms down there, real rooms, that have NOTHING in them. Except bugs and cat hair....

Honestly, we don't have that much stuff down there, truly. I mean, it is just us, so we have old boxes of files, seasonal decorations (the real majority of my junk is Christmas stuff... Did I even decorate this last year? Not really... Do I need it all? Hell yeah!) 3 or 4 coolers, and piles of junk. 

So if I don't have that much crap, why am I making such a big deal about it? Well, I hauled out seven trash bags full of garbage and recycling. SEVEN. Where the heck did all that crap come from?!?! About 3 of them were full of old laundry detergent bottles and other recyclables. The other 3 were just full of nonsense, stuff that isn't worth remembering.

And that DOESN'T count the big pile of stuff I made for the yard sale. That pile would include 2 vacuum cleaners, a coffee table, various electronics, and other stuff that makes it's way into the basement because I always say "Oh! That can go in the yard sale!"

After I hauled out all the real junk, reorganized the leftover junk, I proceeded to shopvac the whole basement. It was REALLY gross down there. A LOT of cat hair. Ick.

What did I get out of all this? I got a folding table and a trash can for my laundry area... Seriously, a table that folds, on which I can fold laundry. And maybe I will put the lint and empty bottles in the trash can... Hopefully, I will actually fold the laundry... Maybe... Probably not....

5 comments:

  1. Funny! Maybe you could rent out the space, and make some $$$$?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea! Too bad I'm super weird about other people's stuff hanging out in my house...

      Delete
  2. You are talking about all of the bad things about basements, although they are all true I really miss my basement A LOT! Stuffing all of those things into the garage and closets sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention the closet thing... In our house we have exactly 2 closets. In the entire house... I guess my little piles of junk aren't so bad since our real closets are not that full?

      Delete
  3. Are you sure that you don't have another actual cat down in the basement???

    You're more than welcome to come here and clean out my basement. I'd pay you in all the milk & eggs you could carry home and/or eat.

    ReplyDelete