4.21.2013

Coming to Terms With The Term Free-Range

Since we have had chickens, we have let them have reign over the entire back yard. We would moan and complain that they dig up and eat the plants, destroy the grass, and poop on absolutely every single horizontal surface in sight. Today, that all changed.

We took back control of our yarden and fenced in the girls. They still have about a 12x15 ft area to play and dig and keep a mud pit. But we now have the rest of the yard back. I was able to plant the beets and spinach in peace with Chelsea by my side. I did NOT have to chase the chickens away! It was great!

We are even starting to grow the grass back! We planted half the yarden a few weeks ago, and it is slowly starting. This cold spell is not helping though, I am sure. But, whatever. It will grow back.

I am also super excited to be able to use the yarden to actually sit outside in. With the chickens (and their poo) being contained to a certain area, we will be able to keep our outside table clean and usable.

So in order to do this, we had to lose a bed, but in all reality, that particular bed never really grew anything very well, for whatever reason. That dirt will get used to fill in the rest of the beds and more pots for herbs and stuff. For now, the chickens don't seem to be all that into digging in it...

Despite the fence looking a little hill-billy-ish, I don't care. It was cheap (enough) and relatively easy to do. And it's not so permanent that we can't get rid of it without a hug headache, but permanent enough that I know it's not gonna blow away in a wind storm. What I DO care about though, is that we will be able to walk outside and pick veggies without them being pecked over or dug all to hell by the chickens... Now all I have to worry about is that Bastard Groundhog...

Why did it take us so long to do this? That's a really good question....


5 comments:

  1. Don't blame you a bit, it will be so much nicer out there for you. Looks to me like the girls have plenty of room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they have plenty of room still.. Although I JUST had to go outside to shoo the black hen back into her yard... I think it is time for some wing clipping.

      Delete
  2. I went thru the full free-ranging mode, then realized they were digging up all my perrineals, etc. So, we fenced in our veggie garden for them. We have tall berries, and I add a little mini-fencing around the small veggies. The rest of the main yard is clean, but I do "supervised" visits. I sit out with them and they can dig in certain beds, but not the main flower ones. We can't have a full on veggie beds in the back yard from too much shade. It was a good solution for us. It pretty much empty in the winter, come summer it's green and shady, happy chickens. They have really kept the bugs and weeds down in the veggie garden too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are going to have to do the supervised visits... Once the grass is grown back, they can graze on it while I work outside. For now, they have to be patient.

      Someday we will have lots of space, and they will have too much grass to destroy, and they can graze to their hearts content :)

      Delete
  3. Carolyn! I deleted your comment! Im so sorry!!! Please repost?

    ReplyDelete