3.10.2013

I Am Sooooo Diggin This Weather!

I don't know about you, but here in CLE we have a current temp of 68 degrees. 68!!! I couldn't help myself but to bust open a few windows and get the fresh air flowing through the house. The wind is still super cold, as it come off the lake which is still frozen, but in the gorgeous sunshine it feels like an early summer day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know this won't last more than today, but I got in my fair share of work in the yarden done. I cleaned out the garage and tossed almost an entire contractor sized bag of garbage. Honestly, where in the hell does all that miscellaneous crap come from??? I seriously don't even know what I tossed in that bag, as evidence that is must have all been junk. Oh, and mouse poop too. Lots and lots of mouse poop. I have not seen any evidence that they have rebuilt their nests, and hopefully, they have moved on (or will soon) since we aren't keeping any feed out there at all. Even the little feeder for the chickens comes in the house at night and gets put back in the morning when I wake them. I am not taking any chances!

I also got the compost turned (holy cow does it stink! and not in a good way) and the chickens went to town on it. Hopefully they will get it all aerated and turned so it can start drying out a little... Maybe after that the yarden won't stink like a poo-pit....

Also got one of the aisles between the beds tilled and seeded... The warm/cold and rain/snow junk winter we have had, combined with scratchy chicken feet, have turned the back yarden into a total mud pit. Today wasn't so bad, as it hasn't rained, but the whole thing is totally void of anything green. No more grass, no more weeds... Just dirt... I am hoping to get the grass going again so that the chickens have something to forage on, and so that we don't walk through mud every time we go out back. When I get the chicken run rebuilt, they will be confined for a month so I can get the whole yarden seeded and growing.

What else? Just spring cleaning. OH! I got a killer deal on organic blackberries yesterday, so I pumped out 10 pints of blackberry-honey jam and tonight I am making a cobbler to take over to Hubby's brother's house for dessert. We are dealing with a loss in his family (his uncle passed last night after a long battle with pancreatic cancer and the after effects of treatment, dementia, and all sorts of other things I can't recall) so everyone is getting together tonight. I think a nice sweet cobbler with lots of ice cream will (hopefully) make everyone feel a little comforted. I secretly think Uncle Bob is responsible for this gorgeous weather... I know he would have loved to have one more sunny day like today.

I just want to say thanks to all my followers out there. I know I have been absent a lot, but trust me, this semester of school is taking its toll on me. I am just so dang busy!!! But, I promise, once the garden is going and the seeds are started, I will have a lot more to talk about. And hopefully pictures!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your uncle, but I agree that the cobbler & ice cream will help, especially made with Luv!

    Love the term "Yarden", never heard it before!

    We've had some much needed rain here and everything is a big mud pit.

    ReplyDelete