11.11.2012

Winterizing

First off, we got our garlic planted! Yay! A couple a weeks late, but at least it got done. Thanks to that lovely storm we all had, it was way to wet to be able to get out there and make it happen. I tilled up the dirt, added in some new good stuff from the Big Orange Store (pickins were slim, so I had to get miracle grow) and then plugged the cloves in the ground. Then it was covered with straw, covered with chicken wire, and poles were put on top to keep the whole lot from blowing away. And to keep the chickens from digging in there.

Winterizing is never a fun day, but at least I get to spend it with Hubby! We emptied the rain barrels, cleaned up the driveway and garage, cleaned the chicken coop, put the tarp over the run, pulled out the rest of the garden, pulled out the anti-groundhog fencing, and then we had to put all that extra stuff away.  I think it is safe to say that we will most likely NOT be able to park in our garage this winter. My car never gets that luxury, but since Hubby has a new car, I am sure we will work on the garage again to be able to get it in there. We also brought in all of the coolers and various plastic containers previously used for chicken transport.

There also was a chicken coop redo, but I will post about that tomorrow... I need something to talk about these days, I don't want to cram it all in one post!
Arial view, empty garden

4 x 12 bed, completely filled with garlic - German Extra Hardy and Chesnock Red

We left the peppers in for the chickens to peck at. Maybe the Bastard Groundhog will come back before hibernation and finish the job for me...

Tarp covered chicken run... Last year, I didn't do this until after it snowed... Big mistake. This year, the girls will stay dry and warm. And a shot of Hubby and Chelsea Belle
Little One, making herself at home :) I love these little chickens!

And Chelsea... We took her for a run this morning, and she has been totally tuckered out all day. She has been sleeping all day!

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, I still need to get my garlic planted. My planned future garlic bed is only about 2' x 5'. I may have to re-think that as we REALLY like garlic. Maybe I'll save that bed for something else.

    Your beds look very neat and tidy. Mine look like a tornado came through here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a TON of garlic in everything that I cook, so we need to plant a ton of it, not to mention what we have to grow to plant next year. I didn't even count how many cloves I planted, but it has to be in the hundreds...

      And thanks! I am sure the chickens will have the beds dug up and looking like hell soon, so I am glad I have a picture of them all neat and tidy :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I can't take all the credit... She is my Momma's dog... But she sure is cute!

      Delete
  3. my goodnes you all worked so hard!! and what a cute dog.... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... She is cute... Oliver is going to miss her

      Delete