11.07.2012

A Homegrown Dinner

Really, I should have taken a picture... This dinner was so darn good! We had our first steak from our newest installment of beef, courtesy of my annual Christmas present from the Row Family Farmers (aka my awesome sister and her farming hubby) and it really was amazing.

I cooked up a nice big sirloin steak (which not only fed us tonight, but will also feed us breakfast and dinner tomorrow) in my biggest skillet with a healthy coating of Tiny Gardener's House Seasoning.  Oh My GAWD! So I let the steak rest and decided that I needed a fancy dinner... I deglazed the pan with red wine (a fancy term for pouring in some booze and scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan) and added some Worcestershire sauce and 3 drops of liquid smoke and let it reduce until it was shiny and thick... HOLY COW!

As for sides, we had roasted pumpkin (from the farm) and potatoes (from the West Side Market) with garlic and rosemary (backyard garden) as well as some green beans with butter (from the farm.) 

All in all, a darn fine successful dinner, right from our own backyard... For the most part at least..


Tiny Gardener's House Seasoning
2 parts course salt
2 parts course black pepper
2 parts granulated garlic (or garlic powder, however you want to look at it)
1 part paprika (get smoked or spicy if you like, but I just had plain this time around)

I like to make a big batch of this stuff and keep it in a recycled spice shaker that holds about 2 cups.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for homegrown stuff! And for a freezer full of beef; gott'a LOVE that kind of present! Nothing says lov'n like a bunch of dead flesh in the freezer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang I need to go fix dinner, you made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete