10.24.2012

Seeing Orange

So, I finally got around to putting up all my pumpkins! I started with 3 sugar pies and attempted to can them... All was going well until I pulled the jars out of the pressure canner. I filled the jars with the punkin chunks and topped with fresh boiling water, just as Ball prescribes. Then I cooked them at 10 pounds for 90 minutes. Then I pulled them out, and there was no water! Well, the jars were only half full of water.... What the heck???? Do I need to screw the bands on tighter? I just don't get it... I mean, they sealed up fine, but are they going to be OK without being completely submerged? If the answer is no on that one, I am still OK with that as I have about 25 more pie punkins to take care of...
This jar had mushy punkin chunks...

This jar's chunks were in tact, but still... Where did all that water go???

So as my pie punkins were processing, I cut up one of my GORGEOUS Musquee De Provence pumpkins. Yes, this pumpkin is so beautiful it deserves to be called an actual pumpkin. I didn't take a picture of this one before I cut it up, but here is one from the internets...
NOT my picture... But I have about 6 more of the babies out in the driveway
really, this picture (from my phone) does NOT do the color of Musquee de Provence any justice

The biggest Pyrex bowl I own is overflowing with chunks... A LOT of flesh and only a little skin. I LOVE this pumpkin!

This is probably the least messy my kitchen has EVER been during canning...

Anyways, I don't even know how much this thing weighed, but it was a LOT. I got 2 full gallon bags of pumpkin cubes (which I plan on roasting and making into soup.) This pumpkin flesh is so beautiful... It is a bright pinkish orange color, and has the texture of a butternut squash. I cannot even WAIT to cook this baby up. I would have done it last night, but I didn't have any olive oil... I will take care of it tomorrow...

Speaking of soup, my next question... I know I am NOT supposed to can pureed squash because of the density, but what about soup? I mean, it is much more liquid than straight up squash puree... Any thoughts???

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a pressure canner, so I'm not much help. I did read that it's not safe to can the soup, but to puree the canned chunks and then make your soup. This website looks like it has some really good (and safe) recipes. Her pressure canned squash cubes didn't lose their liquid. Did you make sure all the air bubbles were out of the jars by running the blade of a table knife down the sides?

    http://www.sbcanning.com/2011/10/pressure-canning-winter-squash.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I let out all the air and made sure the liquid was 1 inch from the top... I will check or the site. Thanks Granny!

      Delete
    2. Some things that can cause this to happen are: packing the food too tightly in the jars, often over-filling the jar (leaving ½ inch instead of 1 inch of headspace, for instance); varying the amount of heat under the canner; or not waiting long enough before opening the canner. With a weight control, gently bump it with a spoon. When no steam escapes, remove it and open the kettle. This loss of food from the jars often happens when someone “hurries” the cooling down period too much, sometimes by opening the petcock too soon or even by pouring cold water over the canner. This is a real NO NO. This happens, but it is not a frequent occurrence in canning, so don’t let it discourage you. http://www.backwoodshome.com/advice/aj104.html

      Delete
  2. Wish I knew about your pumpkin canning woes, looking forward to hearing other comments about it. And I don't get why pumpkin puree would be any different that say, liquid, like you mentioned is uhm, as dense as you can get, right? Maybe because there may be tiny air bubbles trapped in the puree?

    Anyways, those pumpkins are BEAUTIFUL! Like what pumpkins look like on those victorian halloween cards and such.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the same problem with various types of winter squash. I'm following all guidelines to a tee. I think it must have something to do with the amount of starch in the squash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having the same problem with various types of winter squash. I'm following all guidelines to a tee. I think it must have something to do with the amount of starch in the squash.

    ReplyDelete