9.06.2012

Canning Totals... So far...

Yes, I am still here, sick of the heat. The good news is that tomorrow looks to be our last day of it in the near future. I don't generally trust in weather reports more than 3 days out, but I am hoping this one stays true... We aren't supposed to have a day over 80 in the 10 day forecast! Yay!

In other news, I canned 6 quarts of chopped tomatoes, but lost one (a brand new jar!!!) in the canner. I generally wouldn't be so sad about this, but it is the second jar lost this year... And we didn't end up with nearly as many tomatoes as I had hoped for. Oh well... Better luck next year!

Speaking of tomatoes... I have it set in my brain that I will never make tomato sauce again. Out of 12 quarts of juice, we got 4 quarts of sauce. And that was AFTER I cooked it up with onions and stuff... I would much rather only do chopped or whole tomatoes. It makes me feel like I get more gratification out of it. All that work, and only 4 quarts... Oy vay....

Chopped Tomatoes - 5 quarts
Pickles - 24 quarts (I need to count these... they are going fast...)
Tomato Sauce - 4 quarts
Barbecue Sauce - 5 pints, 1 half-pint
Jalapenos - 9 pints
Strawberry Jam - 9 pints (we are already down to 3... I should have made like, 25 pints)

Freezer Stuff
Cherry Tomatoes - 1 gallon bag
Chopped Tomatoes - 2 - 1 gallon bags
Hot Peppers - 1 gallon bag
Kale and Chard - 8 - 1 gallon bags
Basil - 3 - 1 gallon bags

8 comments:

  1. LOL...Great minds think alike. (I was just b*tching..er...Whining about the heat over on my blog.)

    No canning yet for me. Freezing all the way so far. Once I start doing applesauce I hope it'll be cool enough for me to tolerate the heat of canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freezer has been one of my best friends this year... Although I am kind of freaking out about the fall coming and we get our 1/2 side of beef... Where the hell am I gonna put all the veggies I froze???

      Delete
  2. Great canning job! Even if the jam doesn't make it past Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I may have to cave and buy some out of season fruit for Husband to enjoy. But the fall fruit will be coming in... How about apple jelly? or jam?

      Delete
  3. I'm just hoping all my late tomatoes ripen before the first hard frost, probably next month...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I am feelin... My tomatoes are looking like total crap, but they still have fruit on them... Maybe they will and maybe they wont!

      Delete
  4. how did you loose the jars... what happened? they did not seal or the jar actually broke? never have heard of this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottom just clean broke off. One jar was a really old one that you gave me (not a blue one) and the other was a brand new jar...

      Delete