9.23.2012

Camping at the Farm

There really is nothing like peeing in the woods. That's all I have to say about that.

This weekend was the big pumpkin and squash harvest down at the farm, so we decided to make a weekend out of it and take the tents and go camping. We had a blast! Not only did we do that, but we went apple picking! We ended up with 1.5 bushels of apples, and I have already made 5 quarts of applesauce, and I have many many pounds of apples to go. I am thinking apple butter, pie filling, and maybe some kind of preserve, but not jelly....

We were super lucky to have our friend Anthony come down with his truck to help us work and haul harvest. He also brought his dog Rocky to keep Chelsea company (she is my mom's dog whom we are dog-sitting. She is wonderful!) Lets just do this in pictures. These pictures are all from my phone, so sorry if they are not the best.

First we have the pumpkin patch. It measures about 50 x 50 ft
After we pulled out all the squash, we pulled vines, and Husband cut the grass.
After the grass was cut, he tilled the ground to try and keep the grass at bay for the spring. We will see how it goes. I didn't get a picture of the tilled ground, but you get it, right?
This picture doesn't do this pile of vines justice... Really, it was huge... And we had 2 piles.

So after all of that, we ended up with a truck bed full of pumpkins. I am feeling pies, cookies, breads, soups, muffins, scones, and biscuits in my future!
Chelsea and Rocky
Me and Chelsea prospecting the apples.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! Is this your family farm? That's a whole lot of pumpkins for personal use! Biscuits from pumpkins... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The "farm" as we call it is owned by my husband's father and grandmother. There is no house, so no one lives there. We just grow stuff and cut grass. :)

      Yeah... I never grew pumpkins before, so I really didn't know what I was getting myself into... Maybe less next year??

      Delete
  2. all I can say is awesome.... wowza....you are going to be one busy chick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...What a haul! So Jealous!

    ReplyDelete