8.06.2012

Harvest Monday

The tomatoes are really starting to come in, and I hope I will be canning in the next few days/weeks. Speaking of canning, I put up another 15 quarts of pickles, hawked 2 off on my sister, so that brings our total to 22 quarts. What the heck am I gonna do with all of those??? I mean, no real family eats that many pickles in a year, do they? I mean, we don't really have a choice now.... I also put up another 5 gallon bags of chopped chard and kale. That will be soooo good in soups and stews and with roast chicken come fall. I can't wait for fall!

Everything else has been good, I think the zucchini are pretty much done, I picked the last one I could see this morning, and the plant really looks like hell. So, if I get more, great, if not, oh well. I have enough. The eggplant, of course, are still coming. I need to work on that this week also.

This week should be good! Finals are over, so I can dedicate some much needed time in the garden instead of at my desk.




This Week:
Cucumbers - 5 lb 12 oz
zucchini - 2 lb 4 oz
tomatoes - 10 lb 15 oz
eggplant - 1 lb 12 oz
broccoli - 5 oz (side shoots)
chard - 1 lb
kale - 2 lb 7 oz

Annual Total - 81 lb 10 oz
Eggs - 0 (will these girls ever start laying eggs???)

Thanks Daphne over at Daphne's Dandelions for hosting Harvest Monday!

15 comments:

  1. Very nice harvest! What variety are the tomatoes in the last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice harvest! Tomatoes are lovely! What variety are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, that all looks so great! And no eggs yet? My gals just started really laying again - I guess it has cooled off enough that they started up again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No eggs yet... We just got these new girls this year, and I don't think they are old enough to lay yet... But I am getting tired of life with no eggs!

      Delete
  4. Great harvest! What is the texture of chard and kale after it is thawed? I have never frozen any because I am not sure I would like the texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The texture is fine I think. I mean, its not as good as having fresh sauteed greens, but I usually put the greens into pasta, soups, or with roasted veggies and roast chicken. It isn't like spinach though, which just turns to mush.

      Delete
  5. My son could eat that many pickles! He can eat almost half a jar of store bought pickles in a sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you sell some pickles at a farmer's market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have no idea... I don't think I have enough though. Too much for me, too little to sell. I will have to work on that idea next year though!

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of pickles! Nice harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh... those maters are purdy

    ReplyDelete