8.02.2012

Drowning in Eggplant

I don't know what is with this year, but I have a crap-ton of eggplant... Ok, that is a lie. I know exactly what is different... The eggplant are not being shaded and drowned by tomatoes. BUT I have no idea what to do with them!!! Do any of you have some good recipes for eggplant? I mean, besides breaded with tomato sauce or roasted and whipped into dip.... Or how about preserving? Does anyone preserve their eggplant?

On another note, I think I am going to lose my zucchini plant. It is really succumbing to mildew, as are the cucumbers. But I am ok with that really... I have enough zukes to keep us in bread for at least 6 months, and I am probably going to get another 8 or 9 quarts of pickles with the cukes I have in the fridge...

4 comments:

  1. I slice them into cubes and brown them and then put in the freezer to add to stir fry later in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bread, bake, and then freeze my eggplant. Then later pull it out, layer with tomato sauce and cheese and cook. Quick and easy eggplant parm. I also love Indian eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cube and saute in a little olive oil and garlic then add to tomato sauce for a nice pasta sauce. If you have a dehydrator, you could slice and dry....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also breaded, baked and frozen eggplant. It goes well either as eggplant parm or you can put it in lasagna. I make ratatouille with it also and you can find the recipe on my latest blog post. And then, to use it up quickly I sometimes grind it up in the food processor and dump it into spaggheti sauce, as it cooks it thickens the sauce nicely, especially good if you are making a vegetarian sauce.

    ReplyDelete