7.09.2012

Harvest Monday

This weekend was good, and we cleaned up the kale and chard. In total, we got 5 gallon bags of greens for the freezer. We also got the first of our cucumbers! The first zucchini should be ready in the next couple of days as well! I found some good recipes for pickles, a cold pack version and a fermented version... I will probably try the cold pack one first and see if the pickles stay crunchy. Anyone have tips for keeping a crunchy pickle???
Kale - 2 lb 2 oz     Chard - 1 lb 5 oz     Cucumbers - 1 lb 8 oz (I got an additional 3lb 5 oz of cucumbers, but the image is stuck on my camera for now... Whoops!)
Annual Total: 22 lb 14 oz
Eggs: 0

Thanks to Daphne over at Daphne's Dandelions for hosting Harvest Monday! Go on over and check out harvest from across the country and world!

On a side note, irrelevant to harvesting, the heat has broken! It was really really nice being able to do laundry, do the dishes, and sleep in our own bedroom again. Freedom from the air conditioned cell!!!

10 comments:

  1. I put horseradish leaf in the jar when I make pickles to keep them crunchy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that affect the flavor at all?

      Delete
    2. That's fascinating! I wonder what the chemical explanation is...

      Delete
  2. A very nice harvest. I'm jealous that you are about ready for Zucchini. Our plants have contracted some kind of wilt and are dying before our eyes. I think this may be the first year in 15 years of gardening that we won't have any zucchini! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh No!!! Is there anyway to remedy it? Is it that mildew that squashes are prone to??

      Delete
  3. I know you can buy some type of ingredient (calcium chloride?), in the pickling section at Walmart, for instance, that's supposed to keep them crunchy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to see if I can find some recipes that use that...

      Delete
  4. I've always been told to put grape vine leaves in the jars to keep them crunchy.

    I've never heard of freezing greens. They don't turn to mush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat's a good idea too... I hope I get lots of cucumbers to try all these ideas!

      As for the greens, I mean, I don't use them to saute in the winter, but more for like, putting in soups and pastas and eggs. I don't blanch them or anything, just cut them up and freeze them. They always come out just fine for my uses.

      Delete
  5. They used to put grape leaves in the bottom of the pickle jar to keep them crunchy; never tried it tho....

    ReplyDelete