7.02.2012

Harvest Monday

The only thing that got harvested this week with any value of mentioning was the garlic. Holy crap the garlic. I haven't counted up the heads, and probably won't do so until after they have cured and been braided. Although, I do think we probably got about 175 or so heads... All the yields were amazing, and the only losses I had were due to curious and hungry chickens. Definitely recommending Seed Saves Exchange for anyone who wants quality seed head to start garlic. Anyhow, I will just let the pictures speak for themselves....
German Extra Hardy

One variety in the wheelbarrow... I do believe these are the Chesnok Red, but the heads turned out small, so they wont be getting planted again next year...

German Extra Hardy at the top of the picture, and I think Persian Star at the bottom.
Thanks to Daphne over at Daphne's Dandelions for hosting Harvest Monday! Go on over and check out harvest from across the country and world!

19 comments:

  1. Great Garlic harvest you must be so pleased!
    happy plaiting...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am super psyched about it!

      Delete
  2. I come in hope you accept the One Lovely Blog Award! I love reading and keeping tabs..

    http://tangentgardening.blogspot.com/
    Congrats...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks so much!!! I post about this tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. Holy garlic, Batman! I'll bet it smells real good at Tiny's house! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all that garlic is out in the garage. When I open the door, the smell smacks me right upside the face! I love it!

      Delete
  4. That's one very large garlic! I only have 6 bulbs this year but will plant alot more in fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you gotta get on that! Plant a ton, it keeps well! Especially the hardneck varieties.

      Delete
  5. I am pulling my garlic this week but it will be nothing like your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... that's an amazing sized garlic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! You should have seen us digging and tugging at these darn things... If it wasn't nearly dark out, I'm sure the neighbors would have put it on youtube and titled it "my insane neighbors with garlic and chickens in the city"

      Now that I think about it, that would be a fun little series to watch!

      Delete
  7. Holy cow, 175 heads of garlic. No worries about vampires around your place :) What do you do with that much garlic?

    Be sure to save some cloves for next years crop and you can become your own seed savers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, definitely no infestation of vampires... Darn it though, they have been so romantic in TV and film lately!

      And yes, about 1/4 or 1/3 will go into the planting for next year. And what do I do with it in the mean time? I am Italian, and I have a fondness for garlic. I go through about 1-2 heads per week in cooking dinner.

      Delete
  8. Wow! That is an impressive harvest both in sheer volume but also the size of some of those look pretty substantial. Good growing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's BIG garlic, is the flavor strong or?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those German garlics look really huge! I will have to try some of those this fall.... how much space did you plant for all that?

    ReplyDelete