7.10.2012

A Bird Problem

And not the chickens this time... We have birds... A LOT of birds... It's  starting to feel like a Hitchcock movie around here... And the little bastards are eating my chickens out of house and home... I thought it would be a good idea to get a bird feeder so they would have their own feed to eat, instead of my chickens feed. Then they ate all of that too.... The bad part is, even though I keep the chicken feed inside of the coop, the birds fit through the chicken wire that surrounds the run... It is very frustrating, and they are eating all of my money... I bought a 10 pound bag of the cheapest bird feed I could find, and it will only last like, 3 days... The chicken feeder gets filled every morning, and it is empty by noon... I have now idea what I am going to do!!! And did I mention the poop? It is EVERYWHERE....
Birds on the garage

Birds on the run

The tree they live in...

6 comments:

  1. Weird. And frustrating. You know, even with all the wild birds we have around here, I've never really noticed more than a few picking at the chicken scratch. Could you use a pellet type chicken feed that the little birds wouldn't be able to eat as easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could try the pellet food... I am just about out of chicken feed anyhow, so I should just give it a shot. What is there to lose at this point?

      Delete
  2. Have you thought about using hardware cloth inside your chicken wire? We use it for predator protection and no birds have gotten in there. Just a mouse or 2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, that is a lot of hardware cloth... I will have to investigate the price and do some math about what it costs in bird food and hardware cloth... Good idea! Thanks Nancy!

      Delete
  3. Or used screening? I've seen stuff used on craiglist...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thought, you might find it cheaper to cover it with bird netting, the kind used to protect fruit. It's fairly cheap, and in a big roll...

    ReplyDelete