6.10.2012

There Is a Reason They Are Called Chickens and Not Braves....

The new girls are soooooo scared of me! I hate it! I am used to even the mere sound of me waking up, walking down the back stairs, and opening the back door making my girls run for me. I know it will take time for them to get acclimated, but geez, I just want to hug a chicken. I hugged a chicken every day for the last couple of years and I am in chicken hug withdrawal. And the other thing that is weird about these girls... They wont eat the kitchen scraps. I harvested some lettuce yesterday, and tossed the remains into the run for them to snack on. Nothing, nada, zilch. They didn't even seem curious about it. Guess all those scraps will actually make it into the composter... Freakin weird...

Tomorrow, trekking to the urban farm store to stock up on meal worms and other chicken goodies. Hopefully soon they will realize that Tiny Gardener = Treats!

And the other thing... They won't go into the coop. When I went out to check on them last night, they were all huddled into a corner of the run sleeping between the chicken wire and the feeder. I moved the feeder into the coop, and so far only 2 of them have been brave enough to check it out. Little One was even sleeping in there for a minute. (Did you notice that? yeah... they will probably get some sort of names... bad gardener! bad!)


10 comments:

  1. Hope they settle in soon. I am so envious of people with chickens. I want some but am not ready to make the commitment. I also need to wait for one of my cats to "catch an angel" as my son put it when he was 7. Until then I will live vicariously through others who have chickens and buy eggs at the farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chickens really are great. They are pretty low maintenance. About the cats, I wouldn't worry too much. We have a lot of feral cats in our neighborhood, and they usually don't bother the girls too much. Every once in awhile, I will have to go shoo them away, but overall, its not that bad.

      Delete
  2. We had to train ours to go into the coop at night. With the first batch we'd physically pick them up and put them in the coop at dusk because they huddled behind the door, the goofs. When we got the second batch, I kept them locked in the coop for a couple of days so they'd know it as home and where the food/water was.

    Yeah, sometimes they aren't all that bright at all! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night, 2 of them actually did go into the coop and sleep on the perch. I think the will get the picture eventually...

      Delete
  3. Poor things, they were uprooted from what was safe and familiar, and placed in the unknown world beyond. I'd be "chicken", too! I'll betcha a dollar they'll be in love with you in....maybe two weeks.

    PS: I know nothing about chickens. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they were uprooted pretty instantly... They will come along I'm sure. Haha, I hope they love me!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I had to shoo mine into the coop at night as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've been personally carrying two chickens into the coop EVERY. STINKING. NIGHT. Have you tried sticking the kitchen scraps into the blender first?
    Hope the gals get settled soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't given them scraps except lettuce, but no! Never even thought of using the blender! I will do that fire the lager and tougher things. I'm finds update on the chickens tomorrow, do you will be able to see the progress.

      Delete