6.07.2012

I Found An Out!!!

So, I took a chance on calling a chicken breeder/beekeeper on craigslist to see if he would be willing to do the deed to my chickens or if he knew someone who would. He said he would not do it because it is so gross, and the guy he knows only does large orders, like 50 or more. BUT he said he would be willing to trade some younger chickens for our older chickens!!! The Golden Girls will live on! And I don't have to do the guts and stuff!

Anyways, he is about 45 minutes away, easy peasy, and he said he likes to keep the older chickens around because they eat the bad bugs and keep his bees happy! Holy cow I am so freakin happy!!!!

15 comments:

  1. WOW - what an awesome find!!! What kind of younger chicks does he have to trade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He named off a few... Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and a few others, but in my excitement, I wasn't really paying attention... Yay!!!

      Delete
    2. And he said they would be ready to start laying about middle of July, so I don't even have to go too long without eggs. Holy Cow, this is the best scenario!

      Delete
  2. Wimp. LOL!!!

    Sounds like a win-win to me. I'm happy the girls will be able to live happily to a ripe old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a total wimp! But totally a win win. I can't wait to have eggs again!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a perfect solution - girls get to live and you get more eggs from new chickens. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good deal. How does it keep his bees happy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea... He said the eat the bad bugs...

      Delete
    2. He said the chickens east the bad bugs and keep them away from the hives. I have no idea...

      Delete
  5. Now that's thinking outside the box! Makes me feel better if I decide to pass on Rosie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!? And it its so hard after you name them too...

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's a kick butt trade if I ever heard one! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great trade. Great job! And the hens you are getting will be laying soon, that is wonderful, lucky you! Rhode Island reds is one of my favorite breeds with buff orpingtons being my favorite.

    ReplyDelete