5.04.2012

May Pole

So I have been thinking about how to create a trellis for the beans to grow on, and I decided on a may pole. I went though many options, a tepee with bamboo, long boards, chicken wire, etc... I was set on the tepee idea with bamboo, but my sticks weren't nearly tall enough. I need this thing to be like, 6 or so feet, and the sticks were only about 3.

So, I found a VERY tall 1x2 in my garage, put a screw in the top (not all the way screwed in) and stuck it in the center of the bed. Then I placed wood screws in the inside of the bed. Then I used some nylon string I had lying around and tied one end of the string to a screw, wrapped it around the screw at the top of the pole, and the back down to the screw on the opposite side of the bed and tied it tight. It turned out pretty well! The pole is in there good and deep and with the tension from the strings, I don't think it is going anywhere. I left the front open so that I could still plant underneath the beans.
So inside the bed, I planted 2 varieties of long beans (asparagus red seeded, chinese green noodle beans, and then yard long beans around the center pole) and on the insides, I sowed detroit dark red and jupiter beets, as well as some more spinach. This is a last ditch effort for my spinach growing. I have tried to grow it every single year for the past 4 years, and it never grows. EVER. So if it doesnt grow this time, I am giving up on it! I hope we get a lot of beans though!

13 comments:

  1. I have never been able to grow spinach either. I will not give up though, because unfortunately it is my favorite green to eat. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully it will grow... Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. I think your spinach will love growing next to beans because it will get extra nutrition from them. can't wait to see how the actual beans will do on this set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the spinach likes it there... I am excited too! I hope it works...

      Delete
  3. That is perfect. It was free, it will make great use of the space and it looks very attractive. From where I'm sittin' that's a pretty darn good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it looks purdy good too. Hopefully the beans will love it as much as I do.

      Delete
  4. Love it! I made one out of an old ski pole once. I had to add a broom handle as an extension, LOL! It worked well, but I did it too late in the season and my vines froze before I got any beans from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I bet that was an awesome looking set up! And thanks for the bread recipe! It is AMAZING

      Delete
  5. Perfect! Good use of what you have...can't wait to see how it all works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too! I can't wait to see how the beans grow on it...

      Delete