5.24.2012

Groundhog- 4, Tiny Gardener- 0

First off, yesterday in my groundhog hunting rampage, I failed to find a lighter for the gas sticks my FIL gave us to make the groundhog kick the bucket. So Hubby and I could not kill the bastard yesterday.

So last evening, I went out to water everything. Only there was nothing left to water. The only things that were left were the peas, beans, garlic, and peppers. No lettuces, no brassicas, no kales... All gone. Do you hear me??? GONE!!! Bastard gets his lucky number 3.

So this morning, I go outside to let the chickens out of their run. I am walking around my yard in devastation. I come upon the bean bed. And what do you think I see??? NOTHING. THEY ARE GONE. GONE GONE GONE!!!! Bastard gets his lucky number 4.

If I don't get that bastard gone, it really only is a matter of time before he gets to the very last bed of hope with 6 tiny little brussel sprout plants and my tiny little (barely surviving) chard. And my tiny little cucumber sprouts.

Yes... I cried this morning.... A lot.... I may be going insane....

Groundhog Update #1- 5/24/2012 - I called several trappers and exterminators this morning, and guess what, all they do it set out a trap for the low low price of $175 + tax. Well hell, I can do that myself. One even informed me that the city will "take care of the groundhog for you" so I called the city, and guess what they do? Put you on a wait list for a trap, and then you do it yourself. The time on the wait list? 6-8 weeks.... Yeah... I will be taking care of this bastard myself.  Going out today to buy some new lighters and cinder blocks.

6 comments:

  1. You can borrow my mini-mule! She should fit nicely in your backyard and she HATES groundhogs! She has been know to take a chunk out of the back of a few that cross her path!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me, I may take you up on that offer!!!

      Delete
  2. You'll have put sturdy metal fencing around the boxes if you want to have harvest. Now that he knows where to find food he'll keep coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he has known since last year that this was the place to be. I too thought that fencing around the beds would be a good idea, but apparently my groundhog has learned to climb.

      Delete
  3. I'm sending you a lighter. Right now. I used to think groundhogs were cute, back when I was like...seven years old. You know, before I tried to grow anything. What a bastard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am buying a lighter when I go out to run errands... You know, I used to think they were cute as well. Those people who say "how dare you kill an innocent creature?! He is just doing what comes natural!" To them, I say this... "I am also doing what comes natural. I am a gardener and I try to provide food for my family that is wholesome and nutritious. But when something gets in the way of my family's well being, I will get rid of it."

      Delete