5.06.2012

Finally! Bread!

Ok, I have made a lot of breads on this blog, but FINALLY! Finally I have a recipe for a good every day sandwich loaf. Thanks Granny!!! This recipe come courtesy of Annie's Granny who got it via Dave at Our Happy Acres. I altered it to include some whole wheat flour, but other than that, this is a super easy recipe, and SO delicious!


Bread Dough
1 cup whole wheat bread flour
2  1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 t salt
1/4 c sugar
1 T instant yeast (I used 1 package of rapid rise)
1 egg
2 T butter
1 cup warm water

Dave makes this with a bread machine, but I don't have one, so here is how I did it.

Mix together the flours, salt, sugar, yeast. Add in the soft butter and the egg. Mix until the dough comes together, then knead until the dough is slightly tacky, but not sticky, and is smooth and elastic. I used my stand mixer, and it took about 10 minutes.

Allow to rise until doubled in size. Pour the dough out onto a lightly oiled counter top, and flatten into a rectangle, then roll it up and place into a loaf pan. Allow to rise again until it looks, well, like bread. Place into a 350 degree oven and back for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown, making sure to rate the pan halfway through.

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I see a bread making machine on the horizon. Isn't Granny wonderful. I'm learning tons from her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that... She is amazing! She even corrects mistakes on my blog! See below....

      Delete
    2. I hope you don't mind...I was just imagining all these ladies tossing the ingredients into their bread machines without any water! Then they'd be mad at both of us :-O

      Delete
    3. Haha Granny, no of course I don't mind! Someone has to make sure recipes are correct!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I forgot about my bread machine gathering dust in the closet. I'll pull it out and try this today while I'm at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I don't have a bread machine, but if I did, I suspect it would be sitting around gathering dust as well...

      Delete
  3. I added a bit of extra flour to the last loaf I made, but it wasn't quite as soft as the previous ones where the dough was so sticky I had to grease my hands to handle it! I'm going to make sure the next batch of dough is quite sticky. I might add, if one is going to bake this in a bread machine, I'd cut the yeast down to 1-1/2 or 2 tsp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This batch wasn't terribly sticky, but still came out wonderfully soft for sammiches :)

      Delete
  4. No water? That's different! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nancy, she left out 1 cup warm water ;-) I proof the yeast in the warm water with 1 Tbsp. of the sugar, then add the remaining ingredients when it's all nice and bubbly. I also add 2 Tbsp. powdered (instant dry) milk., so I'm also guilty of an omission to the recipe as I make it.

      Delete
    2. OY VAY!!! I corrected it... Thanks Granny! You are always watchin my back!

      Delete
  5. I can not wait to try this bread!

    ReplyDelete