4.14.2012

Jerky

I MADE jerky! For the first time ever! I need to use up some of my less desirable cuts of meat, and what better way than this? It came out pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Here is the recipe I used, via Alton Brown from the Food Network. He really is a culinary god. I did not do the directed drying method, but used my oven at it's lowest setting of 170 degrees. It took about 4 hours. I think the strips I cut may have been thinner than recommended, but whatever. It tastes awesome.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak (I did not have any of this in my stash of meat, so I used a roast of some sort. I think any meat would be good that is NOT a steak or tenderloin. The roast was about 2.5 pounds before trimming)
  • 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (I doubled this, as I LOVE black pepper jerky)
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the flank steak of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.
Remove the steak from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.
Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.
Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. If using a commercial dehydrator, follow the manufacturer's directions.
Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months. (I will be storing mine in the refrigerator because I could not get all of the fat off the roast, and fat makes meat spoil faster. That and I am a meat spoilage freak and food poisoning is the DEVIL)

6 comments:

  1. We make jerky and it never lasts long, so I'd bet yours is all gone before you'd have to worry about spoilage. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are totally right... It almost half gone :)

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! I love that you made this without a dehydrator (which I don't currently own). Maybe I will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been into drying things lately... Jerky today, the other day I dried a bunch of citrus that I didn't know what else to do with. I am not interested in spending a lot of $$$ for a dehydrator when my oven does a fine job :)

      Delete
  3. Did you take a picture of the drying process? No fire danger with the fan overheating? Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my oven to dry the jerky, but I am sure the fan wouldn't over heat if you did it Alton's way. I use those box fan almost 24/7 in the summer for their intended purpose and haven't had a problem.

      Delete