4.23.2012

Cinnamon Buns

Before I reveal pictures of my delicious homemade breakfast, I just want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my post yesterday! Everyone was full of awesome ideas and tips. I am feeling confident that we will make it work. Thank you sooo much!!!

So yesterday, I started bread, made ice cream, and I made cinnamon rolls. My kitchen is a mess! But this morning, these cinnamon rolls were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and totally worth making my kitchen look like a crime scene. This recipe comes courtesy of my favorite bread book, The Bread Bakers Apprentice.




Cinnamon Buns
6  1/2 T sugar
1 t salt
5  1/2 T butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 t vanilla or lemon extract (I used vanilla... lemon and cinnamon sounds gross to me)
3  1/2 C unbleached bread flour
1 package active yeast
1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (warm)
1/2 C cinnamon sugar - 6 T sugar to 1 T cinnamon

Ok, basics here... Cream together the butter, sugar, and salt. Then add your egg, milk, and extract.
Then add the flour and yeast. Knead with the dough hook (or by hand) until the dough is smooth, silky, and not sticking to the bowl (or counter.) This should take about 15 minutes in the mixer, but more time by hand. You may have to add more flour to get the dough to reach this consistency. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a moist tea towel and allow to rise for 2 hours, or until it doubles in size.

Turn the dough out onto a sprayed (with oil) counter and roll out to a large rectangle, about 10x15 inches. Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture onto the dough and spread out leaving a 1/2 inch lip at one of the long ends (that will be the outside of your roll.) Then just roll up the dough starting with a long edge, and then cut into 12 equal pieces. Place the rolls onto a pan and allow to rise for about 90 minutes. OK Here is where I made it different. I only allowed 3 buns to rise so we could eat them this morning. The rest of them, I placed onto a sheet pan and froze, that way I can take out a bun or 2 the night before and they will be risen in time to bake in the morning. 

Bake the buns at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes or until they are golden brown. I baked 3 this morning in a bread pan, and they turned out AWESOME. Top with glaze (Mine was some cream cheese, milk, and powdered sugar. Feel free to leave out the cream cheese if you want. or add vanilla, or orange! The possibilities are endless there)

5 comments:

  1. They look heavenly! What causes them to rise? I am definitely going to make these-my kitchen already looks like a crime scene! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, what I want to know is how can you make these completely evil treats and still do a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh baby! But my blood sugar just spiked, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also wondering why the kneading and rising if there's no yeast. They sure do look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY CRAP EVERYONE! I left out the yeast!!! Whoops!!! I will correct that as soon as I am done with this reply!

    Carolyn, yeah... I need to make a post about that. Due to my job, my training got way off schedule, and there wasn't enough time to get back on track, so yeah... I ended up selling my registration :( Big bummer, but now I have longer to train for it for next year :)

    Nancy, These really aren't too sweet. I just put a crap-ton of frosting on mine. I LOVE frosting on cinny rolls

    Granny, Whoops!!! Corrected!!!

    ReplyDelete