3.03.2012

Oven Lovin Saturday

Oh My Gawd, Carolyn Renee will have my rear end for posting this so late. As a matter of fact, I KNOW she is over at Krazo Acres raggin on my at this very moment!

But all kidding aside, I really did bake this week. I finally found a wheat bread recipe that doesn't fail to rise and tastes better than cardboard. Yay for me!!! This recipe comes courtesy of f(again...)


Wheat Bread
2  1/2 c unbleached bread flour
1  1/2 c whole wheat bread flour (regular whole wheat will do just fine if you can't find the stuff)
1  1/2 Tbs sugar or honey
1  1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbs powdered milk
1 packet active dry yeast
2 Tbs butter
1  1/4 c warm water

Stir together all of the ingredients except the butter and water. (I melted the butter into the water in the microwave for ease of application) then mix in the water and butter mixture. (I do all of this in my electric stand mixer, so if you dont have one, you will have to just go by feel on this one) After everything is incorporated, and there is still flour at the bottom of the bowl, dribble in a little water, 1 tsp at a time. Knead by hand for 10-15 minutes (mixer 6-10 mins) or until the dough has become soft and supple, and not sticky.

Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, roll it around to coat it, cover with plastic, and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size. After it rises, spread it out by hand into a rectangle, roll it into a log, and place into a greased loaf pan (I apparently did not grease mine enough... It was hell getting that bread out!) and allow to rise until the bread has risen above the pan and looks, well, loaf like.

Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, rotating halfway through to ensure even baking. You will want to let this bread cool before slicing. I am VERY excited to have this with my eggs tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. That loaf looks WAY too perfect! Are you sure that you did this Saturday's Oven Lovin and didn't just cut & paste a picture in the last second after I ragged on yer behind?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunday=baking day in my world.

    Bread it is! (And I'm with you on the wheat/cardboard thing, so I'm excited to try this.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, I promise, I really did make that one! But truly, it looked better than it tasted. It was good, but still not as light and fluffy as the bread in the grocery store... So more baking MUST commence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very envious. Looks better than anything we could do that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete