3.17.2012

Just a Quickie

Get your mind out of the gutter! I meant just a quick post before I have to get ready for work. About half of the onions are up and getting TALL. Holy cow. I never started onions from seeds before, so this is really weird to me. I also got 4 varieties of early lettuce planted, and I have no idea what they are. I will make another post dedicated to lettuce later on.

Also, I got 2 kinds of broccoli planted, regular decisco or whatever the heck they are and some fun variety of purple sprouting broccoli. YUM! I think broccoli may be my favorite veg.

Also got 3 types of eggplants sowed, but no action yet. I think they are listada de gania (or gigante?), orient charm, and some other kind of long slender tender variety. I decided against the standard dark large behemoths that frequent the grocery store and market stands in favor of these smaller, lighter kinds. Over time, I have decided that the larger ones are too bitter and the skins too tough to deal with. The smaller longer ones are sweeter, more tender, AND I don't have to peel the skin off too eat them. Skin means extra vitamins and all that good stuff!

The chickens are all good and fat right now. Although with this nice weather, they have been out and about in the back yard eating bugs and worms and whatever else they can get their beaks on, so haven't been on the layer feed and scratch mix much, so hopefully they will shed some of that winter insulation. Now, if only I could say the same for myself!

1 comment:

  1. I actually "chucked" all my onions from seed. they got tall and twisted together so I cut them back, (like mowing grass) but I lost patience with them and just bought sets.

    I started some lettuce inside and also some in the hoop house. The hoop house lettuce was strong and healthy. The inside lettuce tall and pale.

    Big difference.

    ReplyDelete