2.25.2012

Oven Lovin Saturday

I WILL be making meatloaf and mashed taters tonight. I have an entire philosophy about meatloaf and NEVER baking it with ketchup on top. That just grosses me out! And besides, there is NO sauce for the mashed taters! So here is my version (and I apologize because yes, this is a "dash of that" kind of recipe).... Note, I have no pics of this as I will be making tonight for dinner....

Meatloaf
2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
1 smallish onion, finely chopped
several garlic cloves, minced (I use a lot, like 5, so you can cut back of course)
bread crumbs
salt and pepper
dried hearbs (parsley, basil, oregano, whatever you like really)
milk

Turn oven to 350.

Mix everything together except breadcrumbs and milk, and the best tools to use are your hands. Sorry for all you ick opposed people. When you get the eggs fully incorporated, you will be able to see how much of the breadcrumbs you will need. I just pout them in and go by feeling. If you add to much and the mixture looks like sawdust, add some milk. I mix until the stuff looks like a good mix for meatballs. Place the mixture into a loaf pan and cover with cream of mushroom soup and top with lots and lots of pepper. Yes, I know, this sounds totally disgusting to you ketchup-topped-meatloaf-lovers, but just try it once. The sauce that comes from this mixture is soooooooo good.

So bake for about 45 minutes to an hour or until you no longer see any pink juices coming out of the loaf. The first slice is always the hardest to get out!


4 comments:

  1. Meatloaf is soooo neat that in everyone, and I mean EVERYone's is different. Never tried the mushroom soup thing, but I'm always up for another loaf o' meat recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you about the ketchup on top....gross!! That's why I hated meatloaf as a kid. Now that I make it my way (without ketchup) I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throw a couple of strips of bacon on too :) I make an italian meatloaf with marina on top, it's much better that ketchup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious, especially with that home grown beef you have to use!

    ReplyDelete