2.11.2012

Oven Lovin Saturday

Oven Lovin Saturday is a place where we can all come together and share recipes. I know I am always looking for good inspiration, and who else is better to go to than my fellow bloggers?! Sweet, savory, breakfast, dinner, dessert. Just share away. Really, you don't even have to use your oven if you don't want!

This week, I finally found a muffin recipe that isnt dry and nasty!!! This particular recipe is an apple muffin, but I am sure it could be rearranged to make some other sort of muffin. I ripped it off from Blissfully Delicious but of course changed a few things. These really aren't terribly sweet, so if you want a sweeter muffin, you could add more brown sugar or add some honey.
Apple Muffins

 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I always double the spice in a recipe, especially cinnamon. I used just over a full teaspoon)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup natural applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk, so I just used regular)
1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used 4 small red apples I got at the market. I like my apple muffins chunky)
1/2 cup ground flax seed (who doesn't love some added nutrition?)

Preheat the oven to 350. 

You know the drill. Mix your wet ingredients (sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla) and mix together your dry ingredients (both flours, cinnamon, salt, baking soda). Add the dry ingredients into the wet in 3 batches, alternating and ending with the milk. Mix just until the batter come together. Add in the apples and pecans and mix just until combined. 

Scoop the matter into a lined muffin tin and bake about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I got 21 muffins. They were so good! Not too sweet, hearty, and satisfying.


2 comments:

  1. As usual, great timing! I've got a 1/2 open jar of homemade applesauce in the fridge & have been accumulating half-eaten apples from Rhiannon's snacking. Cut off the chewed parts & volia! Apples ready for apple muffin-making!

    ReplyDelete