1.13.2012

Winter is Finally Here

Yes my friends, it has finally shown up. After some unseasonable temps in the 40's and near 50's, today it is 15 and snowy as heck!

I went out this morning bundled in my coveralls to shovel out the chicken run of its snow (since I failed to cover it back up before I left for work 3 days ago) and get the girls all tucked in with fresh food and water and turned on the heat lamp. A good side effect of this whole light/heat thing? More eggs! Dorothy is back to laying one per day, and Rose is up to 2 or 3 a week. Blanche? Well, she is just my hopeless hen. But I sure do love her! She is oh so sweet, and every time I hold her in my arms, she falls asleep. She may be pathetic, but I think we will keep her around.

I hope everyone is staying nice and toasty inside! Don't forget Oven Lovin Saturday tomorrow. Get your posts ready!

As a side note, I am ordering a new battery charger for my camera (again) since I STILL can't find my old one... Ugh...

3 comments:

  1. It seems to be getting cold all over!

    Re the battery charger; have you looked in the last place you left it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. IG, hah! If I knew the last place I left it, it wouldn't be lost! If only I could remember or find where that was....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am debating about putting in lamps in my chicken house next winter. Our egg production has slowed significantly, but has not stopped completely. Then again, we have had such a mild winter so far, so maybe this year is not a good basis to go on.

    ReplyDelete