1.21.2012

Oven Lovin Saturday

This week I made English Muffins. The recipe is from The Bread Bakers Apprentice. They turned out a little too, well, puffy or something, but very tasty never the less. There are a few changes I am going to make next time, I will write them down as the recipe does along.
I made six, but ate one before I took the picture
Ingredients
10 ounces bread flour (I always just weigh this out. Even though, I always need more, I do it anyways)
3/4 + 1/4 cup milk (warm, but not hot)
1 T softened butter
1 1/2 t salt
1 package active dry yeast
1 t sugar

Directions
Place all ingredients in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment and mix and knead until the dough becomes nice and elastic and smooth. You WILL need to add more flour as you go along. How much? It just depends. The dough should not stick to the sides or bottom of the bowl. If you don't have a stand mixer, put some muscle into it!

Place the dough into a very lightly oiled bowl and allow to rise until doubled in size. Pour the dough out onto the counter (don't flour the surface) and cut into 6 equal pieces. Form the pieces into a ball and allow to rise on a parchment lined sheet tray until again doubled in size. OK. Here is where I would change ALL that. I would cut the dough into 8 pieces, and flatten out with a rolling pin. They will rise, so don't worry about that. These really just turned out too tall and big. Tasty, but too big for me. 

Ok, here is the weird part. Heat up a griddle or skillet on medium heat and heat the oven to 350. What you do is kind of cook them like a pancake. Cook the muffins on each side until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes on each side. Then place the muffins back onto your parchment lined sheet tray and finish in the oven, about 8-10 minutes longer. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before splitting with a fork and slathering with butter and jam. Delish!



4 comments:

  1. ok.. for the wierd part... would you recomend a cast iron skillet or it does not matter... these look like too much fun to miss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to have to try your recipe; DH tried them several years ago, but they were, lets say, more Hockey-Puckish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Momma, I used my cast iron griddle :)

    Carolyn, Mine look like hockey pucks, but taste much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I am going to have to try my hand at these.

    ReplyDelete