1.14.2012

Oven Lovin Saturday

This week I am bringing you an adapted recipe for Orange Cranberry Muffins. Yum! Originally, this recipe is from Ina Garten, the Muffin Master, but I have made it before and made some more flavorful tweeks... This recipe makes exactly 12 muffins. I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (I had a few tangerines on hand and they provided some good tang)
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for preparing the muffin tin
2 teaspoons grated orange zest (I double Ina's original amount)
2/3 cup granulated sugar, plus up to 1 tablespoon for topping the muffins, if desired
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk (whole milk will make these more moist)
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the cranberries and orange juice in a small saucepan, and bring just to a simmer over medium heat. Remove berries from the heat, and set aside to cool and plump. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
Lightly brush a 12-muffin tin with butter. (I used my mini bunt cake pan. They turned out so cute!) Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside. (I do actually do this when I bake. Or take the easy route and put the ingredients in a bowl and whisk for a second or two.)
In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with an electric hand-held mixer in a large bowl, cream the butter, orange zest, and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
Fold the flour in 3 parts into the butter mixture, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, until just combined. Fold in the cranberries. Do not over mix. (I just did this in the mixer. But really, don't over mix. No one likes a tough muffin.) Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe! I am hoping by next week I'll be with it enough to hop back on to Oven Lovin' Saturdays. Just wanted to stop by and let you know I missed reading your words while we were offline and I'm looking forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am making these muffs TODAY :) thank you

    ReplyDelete