12.10.2011

Oven Lovin Saturday

This week I am bringing you a double feature! Dinner and Dessert! For dinner one night, I made Fake Fried Parmesan Chicken and Roasted Potatoes, and then later in the week, I made The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yum!

Fake Fried Parmesan Chicken

4 chicken breasts (mine were 4 oz each, boneless, skinless)
LOTS of garlic (I used a whole head)
1 onion, chopped in quarters, or whatever... just chunky....
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
~Marinate the chicken in a ziptop bag with the garlic (just peeled and squashed, don't bother chopping it up), onions, salt, pepper, and enough olive oil to cover. Let marinade over night for the best results... Now for the breading...


1/2 cup bread crumbs (if you use pre-seasoned, skip the herbs I include next)
big sprinkling of dried parsley, dried basil, and dried garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
~Mix all of the dried ingredients. Drain the chicken away from the marinade. Dredge the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until brown and crispy. Time will vary depending on the size of the breasts.

Roasted Potatoes

Enough potatoes to feed your family. Use your favorite potato... This will work with what ya got. (gosh, I am really specific aren't i?!)
2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped fine
5 cloves of garlic, chopped fine (we like garlic in this house...)
Olive Oil (you can use the leftover oil from your chicken if you want to... Its gonna get cooked anyways, so don't worry too much about bacteria)
Salt & Pepper
~Cube up the potatoes into bite size pieces, and toss all of the ingredients together. Roast at 400 degrees along side your chicken.... These will take about 40 minutes, so plan accordingly... Maybe put these together before the chicken so the meat isn't sitting around...




The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
~This recipe comes courtesy of Alton Brown over at Food Network... I made some alterations, so here is my version
  • 8 ounces unsalted butter 
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup peanut butter (smooth or creamy, your call... just use a nice healthy spoonful)
  • 12 ounces bread flour (I never have this on hand... A.P. works just fine for me)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 ounces granulated sugar
  • 8 ounces light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk  (Ok, here is where I screwed up... I forgot to add the extra yolk... Whoops! They still taste good!)
  • 1 ounce heavy cream (thats what I had on hand... The original calls for whole milk)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (The original calls for 12 ounces)
  • 1 handful of crushed walnuts (these are not included in the original)

Directions

Melt the butter and peanut butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.

Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda onto a paper plate. Pour the butter into your stand mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the whole egg, the egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup. Reduce the mixer speed and slowly add the egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.

Using the paper plate as a slide, gradually integrate the dry ingredients, stopping a couple of times to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Once the flour is worked in, drop the speed to "stir" and add the chocolate chips and nuts. Chill the dough for 1 hour.


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and place racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven. Scoop the dough out onto parchment-lined half sheet pans. I just used my tablespoon measure and squashed the cookies a little flat before baking. Bake 2 sheets at a time for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through. (If this works for you, great! I burned the first pan on the bottom... I found it works best for me doing one pan at a time for about 8-10 minutes.) Remove from the oven, slide the parchment with the cookies onto a cooling rack and wait at least 5 minutes before devouring.
Note: I did not take this picture... I can't find my camera battery!

3 comments:

  1. I second Alton Browns Chewy CC Cookie recipe. I've used it for years now. Best I've ever had. I use Swans Down Cake Flour. Seems to make a difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken looks sooo good! I may have linked to your Oven Lovin Saturday. Or maybe not. Darned rural internet LOL! Anyway it's a neat idea, thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. darn... I did not get to do oven lovin this saturday.... maybe will do next Sat from your house since I will be chicken sitting - yipeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete