11.27.2011

Calling All Bakers!

I am bring to you the first installment of Saturday Oven Lovin! (Yeah, I know it is Sunday, but I just had this idea this morning... Saturday from here on out!) We have Harvest Monday, TidBit Tuesday, Wordless Wednesday, Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard, Sunday Scribbles, and I am sure that there are things for Friday, but I don't know about them yet... I thought with winter coming up, and the holiday season, and dare I say that dreaded 4-letter "s" word, baking would be a warm and cozy thing to get going on Blogger so everyone would have some tried and true recipes to call on. Anyways, if you want to participate, just leave your link and a comment at the bottom of the post and please try to link back from your own blog so other readers can have access to all of the soon to be (hopefully!) recipes. Recipes don't have to be original, they just have to be tasty! Sweet or savory, dinner or dessert, you pick!

Today, I bring you Banana-Orange-Nut Bread. TASTY! This recipe came to me via a Google search where I found Mind-Over-Batter and this recipe for Banana cranberry bread... I didn't have cranberries and I don't like rum, so I made some slight alterations.... Here is my version....

Recipe

  • 3 to 4 very ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 3/4 light brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ tsp. of salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Healthy pinch of ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups of flour
  • 1/2 cup fresh or dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup dried banana chip pieces
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
You know the drill here - mix all of your wet ingredients (that means the sugar too!) in an electric mixer (or use those big strong arm muscles) and then add all of your dry ingredients (sift the flour with the baking soda and spices beforehand so that everything mixes well) and then pour the batter into a loaf pan, and bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Yum!!!





6 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I probably won't participate this week, but definately next week. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT idea! I will also try to make sure I am participating next week! :) How long do you leave your linky up?

    By the way, your recipe sounds great...and I LOVE the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MamaTea, I think that the linky stays on the post for all eternity... I will always be putting up a new on on Saturday mornings, or the night before depending on my schedule... And thanks! I hope this thing takes off! I can't wait to see how many good recipes will go up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I didn't bake this weekend, so I copied in a link form last week that actually has two recipes in it :-) Herbed Buttermilk Biscuit and Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins...sweet and salty!
    Thanks for hosting! Hopefully this takes off!

    ReplyDelete