9.24.2011

A Chicken Problem

This is serious... Blanche passed a broken shell today, which I had to pull out of her behind. It was broken, but looked like a really good apple peeler would peel an apple, one long skin of rind... Only it was shell obviously. I am worried that she was egg bound, and now the egg innards are inside there. I looked all around where she had been laying, and didn't find any evidence of egg. I placed her in warm water, trying to coax the stuff out. Didn't work. Nothing came out. Now she is just laying around, taking a step here and there. She isnt eating, isnt drinking. When she lays down, I swear I can see her little tail feather pulsating like she wants to push something out. And she is also laying on her side mostly, and extending her wing feathers... If she is gonna die, she better do it quick. I am not sure I am ready to do it myself....

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your hen. We had an egg bound hen several months ago and I tried soaking her, and even donning rubber gloves and a bottle of KY Jelly, but to no avail. She did the same "looks like she wants to poop" thing, but nothing ever happened. Her abdomen became very heavy & distended. After about a month & a half after I discovered her egg bound, I found her dead by the pen one afternoon. I should have really put her out of her misery sooner as near the end she didn't look too happy. Sorry this doesn't help much :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read about your hen. I wish I could help

    ReplyDelete
  3. just checking in on Blanche before I hit the hay.... hope things are better.... hugs baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I hope she passes the egg. Sorry to hear about the problem. Why does that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, I am sorry to hear about YOUR hen! It is unfortunate when stuff like this happens, especially when we know there really isnt anything we can do for them...

    Thanks Jody, that still means a lot :)

    Meems, I am not really sure, most of the stuff I have read about it just say that basically, it happens sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that you posted an update that she was better too, but I just wanted to let you know I have a magazine article about this. I would be happy to scan and email it to you! Let me know and I hope she is 100%

    ReplyDelete