9.15.2011

Apple Muffins

I had some apples sitting around from a couple of weeks ago, and well, they either needed to be used or they were gonna go to the chickens like, tomorrow. So, I made muffins! I was searching just for an apple recipe, but the one I found happened to call for buttermilk! Now, what did I have just laying around? Buttermilk! And exactly one cup of it, to my recipe's happiness... Thanks again Martha Stewart for a fabulous recipe.


  • 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and quartered (I only had galas, and they were kind of small, so I used 2)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I always double the amount of spices... I just like em!)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (omit if serving to children under 3) (I only had almonds, and they worked just fine)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12-cup standard muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside. Cut 3 apple quarters into 1/4-inch dice; cut remaining apple quarter into 12 thin slices for garnish.
  2. Whisk together sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add diced apple and walnuts, if using; toss to coat.Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a small bowl. Gently fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until just combined; do not overmix. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Top each with an apple slice. Bake until muffins are brown around edges and spring back when touched, 16 to 18 minutes. Let muffins cool slightly, about 5 minutes, before turning out of tin onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.


    Now, I got ahead of myself and uh, forgot to add the melted butter to the batter until after they were in their paper cups... So what does a forgetful gardener do? Drop the butter into the cups 1 tsp at a time and then mix it in in the cups... Not the greatest method... So to cover up the butter top, I made a streusal topping of oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, a little flour, and some of the melted butter and put that on top. I must say, that was a freakin awesome addition and it gave the muffins a crusty sugary top. So yummy!
 I also got the backyard reseeded the chicken area with grass and covered with straw, so now the Golden Girls are confined to their run until I get the rest of the tomatoes and peppers pulled out, probably next week, and they can have the run of the backyard again.  I can feel that first frost coming on in a few weeks, and I normally can't bear the sadness of my garden dying... I would rather pull the axe on it

And speaking of chickens, Fireman Sam texted Hubby to let him know that something killed one his chickens last night. I suspect it either the solid gray cat or gray striped cat that has been stalking my girls. I always make sure to lock the girls up at night, and lately if they are out during the day, I check on them and keep a window open so I can hear them if they need me. Poor Sam.... 

    1 comment:

    1. Oh no, chicken death? I am glad we don't have cats around here. The coyotes get them all. And I don't feel bad if I have to shoot a coyote. But I would if I had to shoot a cat.

      Sorry to Sam :(

      ReplyDelete