8.31.2011

A Weird Chicken Thing...

Ok, I haven't blogged about this before, because, well, I didn't have any evidence. I have always found broken eggs in the chicken coop (never in the nesting box, but around the perch, on top of the boxes, dripping down the coop door...) and have assumed the chickens were breaking the eggs and eating the shells. But tonight, I have PROOF! However, I was wrong. They aren't eating them... I have a chicken that is laying eggs without shells. Not just weird/fragile/thin/transparent/etc shells, but NO shells. They all get the same feed, freedom, and cottage cheese treats for extra calcium... What the heck?!?! Now, the following image could be considered an improvement since it is actually inside the nesting box rather than, well, everywhere else...
Said Evidence, Exhibit E

7 comments:

  1. wowza.. never heard of such a thing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't had any shell-less eggs in a while. I think the chicken responsible for that has since passed on. But it's not that uncommon, even for a "normal" chicken. Sometimes things like that happen. Just wait until you get one of the rubbery, wrinkled eggs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CR - Oh, I have had my fair share of weird eggs. Those wrinkly pliable rubbery ones totally gross me out! We have also had a couple with little "tails" coming out of the end of the shell. But this shell-less thing is just freakin me out! It seems like such a waste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, that's a new one. We've raised a lot of chickens, and never seen that! My daughter suggests switching out that next box with a frying pan - then you'll be all set to cook! No more shells in the egg....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had that here before as well, but I have no clue what causes it. Chicken forums will tell you it means they aren't getting enough calcium, but I don't think that's the case at our house (and it doesn't sound like its your problem either.) So I'm not sure what to tell you! Hope it remedies itself and its just a fluke thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calcium? maybe you have a girl that just needs more than the average chicken...just wait till you get one with a membrane and no shell...those are weird.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After some research, I have concluded that Blanche is simply defective. She has only laid an egg with a shell a couple of times, and the rest of the time, it is either just a membrane shell, or completely shell-less. I have discovered that this is rare malfunction of the reproductive system when the chick is forming that does not allow the hen to absorb calcium in the proper way and they will likely never recover. Now that I think about it, maybe that is why she has a limp, like a calium problem and bone density thing?? Now, I can either have her culled or keep her as a pet. Since I only have 3 chickens, and I have already named her and become attached, a pet she shall remain!

    ReplyDelete