8.29.2011

Harvest Monday

The harvest have been all about the tomatoes. Our big boys are starting to come in FINALLY and we may actually get to have some on burgers! This week we got our first green zebras, ananas, and brandywine. The golden sunrays are really starting to come in also. We have gotten about 6 in the last week. (Yeah, not a ton, but uh, the chickens like them... A LOT.)

And basil. I am estimating that the leaves weighed in at around 4 pounds. I only weighed about half and then I lost track. Made a ton of pesto, and now I am so sick of it, I don't even want to look at it, let alone eat it.

I have a ton of eggplant right now. I have no idea what to do with it. I put it in pasta, put it in stirfry, and other than using it as a filler in lasagna, I really have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions???
Variety of cherry types

Green Zebra!

Gorgeous Heirlooms

The biggest mater harvest of my life

Basil... I am sick of it...
This week:
20 lb 12 oz san marzano maters
5 lb 4 oz various heirloom maters
1 lb 8 oz cherry type maters
2 lb 7 oz eggplants
4 lb basil

Total this year: 98 lb 10 oz

On a side note... Wish me Luck! Today is my first day of classes for this semester... Goodbye Freedom!

11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - too funny about the Basil!

    You are right, those are some gorgeous Heirlooms.

    Make some Eggplant parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First day of classes and a killer harvest! You are busy!

    Good luck and let us know how it went!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely harvests! That's a lot of tomatoes! I would google for eggplant recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tomato harvest this week is huge! The heirlooms look amazing. We're jealous. If only we could have had one plant do so well this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried freezing your eggplant? I have a ton of it right now, too, and I think I'm going to try freezing some. I've never done that before, so I don't know how it will taste but it's worth a shot. I think it needs to be blanched first, so I need to look that up before I try it. I hate for it to go to waste and there's only so much eggplant I can eat. My husband won't touch the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a great tomato harvest. I wish I had some basil....I forgot to plant any this year. How does a gardener forget to plant BASIL for goodness sakes! Pesto.......pesto......pessssstttttoooooooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roast veggies on the grill - eggplant is a nice addition. Toss cubed squash, eggplant, anything in the onion family, an apple, carrots, pepper slices, etc. Coat w/ oil and season w/salt, pepper, rosemary. Put it in a foil dish (you can toss it afterwards if you want) and slap it on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those heirlooms DO look great! Note to self: Plant more heirlooms next year.

    You're about 1 month behind me. This time last month I was up to my eyeballs in mater's.

    I just pulled 95% of them up this morning. They are DONE. Just left a few big un's (to see if they'll do anything in the fall) and the Matt's WC still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love that green zeebra! awesom

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a big tomato harvest!! I like all the variety too! As for eggplants grilling them is my fav way or egg plant parmigiana!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your green zebra looks great. Mine were a big flop this year. Matter of fact, I never have much luck with them. :( All your tomatoes look great.

    ReplyDelete